GFS Tremolo upgrade for MIM: before and after fitting

elsupermanny14

• Members

So you may remember I posted a review of the GFS Tremolo upgrade for the MIM and import guitars. It's this tremolo:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html

If you want to see the first review this is the link to it:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2206515

I talked about how it didn't just drop right in. Anyways I thought I would show you guys before and after pictures of the fitting. I enlarged the tremolo cavity opening on my Squier with a dremmel and a file. Then I used some cutters to cut some pickguard off in order for it to fit the pickguard as well.

Here is the picture of the before and after fitting:

100_0124.jpg

100_0231.jpg

On this next pick you can see on the right corner of the pickguard where I sanded to smooth out the cut a bit and give it the round corner.

100_0233.jpg

On this pictures you can see where I chipped the poly finish at the bottom edge of the tremolo cavity.

100_0235.jpg

You can see that after having done some fitting the tremolo fits and looks good. For $35 bucks it's not a bad deal if you're willing to do some fitting either. I would just advice you to consider this mainly for cheap builds and projects to learn on. I wouldn't use this for a main guitar. Having chipped the paint on my Squier made me realize that had it been my white Strat I would be hating life right now. But since the Squier is a cheap build where minimal cost is the main goal it's alright lol.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I realize this thread is long-dead (and that the post above is probably prep for spam), but I just installed the brass-block version of the same tremolo on my buddy's Squier Stratocaster. This one: http://store.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Black-Import-Made-in-Mexico-BRASS-BLOCK_p_1159.html

D75.jpg

Overall, it's a really nice piece. Solid and heavy as hell. Tons of sustain and upper mid grunt. Stays in tune really well, even though I generally favor 2-point tremolos to the vintage 6-point. I'd gladly throw it on a Mexican Fender for an upgrade. Very functional, very acceptable.

Now, like the OP, my install wasn't a drop-in. To clear the monster brass block, I had to enlarge the rounded corners on the ridge atop the tremolo cavity. No biggie. I just hit it with a flat file, as nobody's ever going to see it. Also, one of the saddles has a pretty nasty casting flaw, but I imagine Jay will take care of it once we email him.

:thu:

• Members

I installed one of the USA-spaced ones on a squier I had already plugged and drilled for a USA strat bridge. I think I paid like $27 for it and it looks/sounds great. i think the saddle adjust screws are longer, because all of them are sticking out alot further than the US-spec trem I replaced. But that is the only issue I noticed. Overall, I am pretty happy that you can buy a decent piece of hardware for less than $30.

• Members

I dropped one of those brass block jobs like the black one above into my MIK Malden Utopia. Fit perfectly with no clearance issues in the cavity. Write up and pics coming soon on the whole guitar, but the bridge upgrade was the simplest, trouble-free bridge exchange I can remember.

• Members

I used one of their 2 pt American spaced trems on my last build. I did heed to open the cavity a bit, but I'm in the habit of building a guitar, doing mods and making it playable before I strip it back down for paint. Good trem, but I'm not happy with the set screw arrangement for the trem arm. It's a sloppy fit and moeves whtn I use it. I cured that by drilling a hole in the back of the arm hole and tapping it for a 4/40 set screw. If they had the set screw hole there in the first damn place it couldn't rock back & forth.

Archived