Pickups similar to Duncan JB ?

Astral-sky

• Members

Hi

Im looking for a replacement pickup for my Les Paul . Its not a dark sounding LP a bit on the bright side

I have a Duncan Distortion in it now which is too bright on the high strings

So before I go out and get a JB which is close to the sound Im looking for . I would like to know if there is a better

I do like the Upper Midrange tone the JB has for Hard Rock Lead as i like

Michael Schenker, Scorpions , Accept type tones

I would like to know of similar pickups worth looking into , I have tried the Tone Zone but its too bassy & lacking something in the Mids.

I have read about the Norton , Anderson H2 H3 etc & Dirty Fingers but never tried them

Any recommendations would be appreciated

• Members

If you like the JB, get the JB. What can be better if thats the sound you like? They are a good pickup, but pretty bright, in a good way.

That's what I was thinking upon reading the OP - If you like X, get X.

• Members

I 'get' this question, though. I like the JB, and have it in a few guitars. But rather than getting still more, I'd like something similar, but slightly different. Sort of like if M+M's were your favorite candy; you might want something different, but still chocolate. Not completely different flavors, so to speak, but different varieties.

• Members

Hi

Im looking for a replacement pickup for my Les Paul . Its not a dark sounding LP a bit on the bright side

I have a Duncan Distortion in it now which is too bright on the high strings

So before I go out and get a JB which is close to the sound Im looking for . I would like to know if there is a better

I do like the Upper Midrange tone the JB has for Hard Rock Lead as i like

Michael Schenker, Scorpions , Accept type tones

I would like to know of similar pickups worth looking into , I have tried the Tone Zone but its too bassy & lacking something in the Mids.

I have read about the Norton , Anderson H2 H3 etc & Dirty Fingers but never tried them

Any recommendations would be appreciated

I have a JB in my Bengal SL2H and it nails "Restless and Wild", but consider an SL2H is quite different from a Les Paul.

I have a Full Shred set in my 750XL (thick mahogany body, maple cap, 24.75" scale, fixed bridge, rosewood fretboard, but maple neck) which is similar to my 6 Les Pauls, and it's my go-to for Schenker tones. Never tried this for Accept so I'm not sure if it would work.

To my ears, anything Balls to the Wall or newer sounds like EMG's to me. There was a thread here once where the producer of Accept stuff told us about what they were using.

• Members

I 'get' this question, though. I like the JB, and have it in a few guitars. But rather than getting still more, I'd like something similar, but slightly different. Sort of like if M+M's were your favorite candy; you might want something different, but still chocolate. Not completely different flavors, so to speak, but different varieties.

Without trying to sound like a dickhead, "I don't think you get" his question because he doesn't have a JB in a few guitars. Sounds like he doesn't even have one full stop.

• Members

Actually I have a JB in another Les Paul . And some strats in the past , the JB sounded good in some guitars and not that good in others

Thats another reason why I was looking for a different twist on a similar tone

I might just go for the JB but this guitar in question is quite resonant & brighter than my other LP

So I bright pickup in a bright guitar....you know

Just wanted to see what else is out there before ordering a JB

I just discovered the Dean Michael Schenker pickup and there is a Dimarzio version floating around .

Not sure if they sound good but if there cheap...

Thanks for the input guys

Archived