Possible to put PRS tuning pegs on epiphone?

cLeVeLaNdStEaM

• Members

I was wondering if it is possible to put PRS (Paul Reed Smith) tuning pegs on my epiphone les paul. I have heard the PRS tuning pegs are awesome and my current tuning pegs arent that good.

What's "not so good" about yours?

• Members

It's unnecessary, as BoneNut is telling you. The problem is usually the nut. Are you only dropping the low E to A#? Or are you drop-tuning your whole guitar, when it's set up to be in standard? Strings won't always tune up perfectly when the tension they're set up for is off.

• Members

I think the way i change my strings is fine. I dont lock them like this guy does, but I aim for 3 to 4 wraps around the neck. Yes I dropped the low E to A#, how do I know if its the nut and how do I fix the nut?

Ok, one more question, the whole guitar is going out, or just the dropped string? Because A# will be so loose, it won't play in tune no matter what. I suppose there could be a tension problem still.

Tuning issues are usually a problem with the nut - the strings are catching in there, or the nut slots aren't cut correctly for the string gauge. Lubrication in the nut slots can help, too.

Oh yeah - when you put the strings on, do you stretch them out properly? That makes a huge difference.

• Members

Ok, one more question, the whole guitar is going out, or just the dropped string? Because A# will be so loose, it won't play in tune no matter what. I suppose there could be a tension problem still.

Tuning issues are usually a problem with the nut - the strings are catching in there, or the nut slots aren't cut correctly for the string gauge. Lubrication in the nut slots can help, too.

Oh yeah - when you put the strings on, do you stretch them out properly? That makes a huge difference.

yeah A# is very loose, but Chevelle uses A# so there must be a way, and I do stretch my strings out plus I use size 9 strings if that means anything.

• Members

I think the way i change my strings is fine. I dont lock them like this guy does, but I aim for 3 to 4 wraps around the neck. Yes I dropped the low E to A#, how do I know if its the nut and how do I fix the nut?

Using the lock technique when stringing up won't cost you anything except a pack of strings. Just saying... you're the one having tuning problems, so don't just ignore that option.

Your a beginner right? I wouldn't suggest you try to fix the nut. You'll need to take to a tech for that.

• Members
Using the lock technique when stringing up won't cost you anything except a pack of strings. Just saying... you're the one having tuning problems, so don't just ignore that option.

Your a beginner right? I wouldn't suggest you try to fix the nut. You'll need to take to a tech for that.

Agreed. Get one of the girls downtown to give you a good nut job.:poke::eek:
Cost about 40 bucks.
SRS, if you're using 9-42's you shouldn't be hanging up in your nut slots. Try some chapstik. One of the best nut lubes I've found and the cost is reasonable. it may be hanging up in your saddle slots and chapstik works there too.

• Members

yeah A# is very loose, but Chevelle uses A# so there must be a way, and I do stretch my strings out plus I use size 9 strings if that means anything.

This is definitely part of the problem. If you're tuning low (especially THAT low), you need to use thicker strings. I'd say 11's at the minimum if you're going down all the way to A#. That's lower than a 7-string in standard tuning.

Archived