Wow...I hope none of you use Jiffy Lube...check out this investigative reporting

Anderton

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a reason that auto mechanics rank just above politicians in terms of trustworthiness. Auto mechanics do on a small scale what politicians do on a much larger scale. If you don't watch them every second, they'll rob you blind.

Well I am glad you are talking "Auto" mechanics......because I was a master motorcycle mechanic for 23 years and I never robbed anyone. I also left dealerships because they had sketchy ways of shafting the customer. I knew plenty of guys who were straight shooters and did not rob and BS customers. They are out there but yes unfortunately there are a lot of crooks and people who do not know what they are doing.

Remember also, often it is the service writer you should take it up with.....they are the one's lying to you. The mechanic might even be unaware of the scam as the service writer might be pulling one over on him also.

You can't generalize......but man I hate a slimeball mechanic or auto shop that shafts it's customers and unfortunately they spoil it for the good guys out there..

• Members

Yeah, there are plenty of good honest people who work on cars (or what-have-you, sewing machines; etc.).

But there are so many sleezoids and incompetents out there that one must assume an untested mechanic is a crook until you build trust over time. (I noticed the older I get, the longer that seems to take...)

• Members

I seem to have picked up something too.

I can't vouch that it was from this same site...

When I open Task Manager, there are about 50 copies of a program called mshta.exe running & I need to reboot to regain CPU bandwidth. Been fighting to get rid of it using Avast, but it's back again. Need to do a full system scan every night for a while, I guess

• Members

I definitely got lubed, and then some...

I just got done reformatting and reinstalling WinXP after watching that video...

Only took a day or two. I spent a day trying to salvage & repair, then gave up & tried to reinstall XP. Couldn't find my bootable XP CD, so I had to install Win2000 and then upgrade, then download SP2 for an hour and a half (since my Wifi USB stick was running on basic USB - - it needs an SP2 file to do USB2 speed). Major PITA!

But it's been running for 5 years without a reinstall, it was definitely due.

This is the 2nd time I've been bitten by a video. The first was using MS Media player - - I clicked to start a video in the browser, and it auto-downloaded and installed a trojan disguised as a codec. (Nice security, Microsoft!!) Now I stay away from Media player, using VLC & WinAmp (and Silverlight, since that's all Netflix will allow).

Archived