NGD! Michael Kelly content

6StringSling

• Members

congrats -- I never quite understood why michael kellys never seem to take off more. the quality to price ratio is as good as it gets. it doesn't get better. I'm not particularly a fan of some of their bling choices on some models but, having owned a patriot special, I'm well aware of the superb quality.

• Members

congrats -- I never quite understood why michael kellys never seem to take off more. the quality to price ratio is as good as it gets. it doesn't get better.

Price. They're considered by many to be "cheap" along the lines of Epiphone, Washburn, Dean, etc. I got mine at Portland Music Company (Beaverton location) and they've been moving MKs for a little while. The manager was telling me that he's had people come in with $1000+ to drop on a new axe and he points them to the MKs and they don't want to even play one based simply on the price tag. He convinces them to at least play a few and a couple of these folks have walked out with 2 new MKs. And the opposite also happens - people come in with $400+ to spend and he points out the Mks and they look at the quality and automatically assume they can't afford one but end up leaving with one.

• Members

You'll love it. I bought mine about four years ago and it's my number one.

Sweet! I was originally going to go for the black and one day they had a gray one in stock that was very cool but somehow the inlay was lost - not enough contrast to my eyes with the gray. Then I saw a pic of a red one on here and had them order me one.

• Members

I sorta recently discovered Michael Kelly guitars. I now have a MK acoustic Club Custom 4 string bass and a Patriot Premium. The Patriot Premium electric is simply very very very nice! Everything is just really good about it. It's a $600 Les Paul-ish guitar that's better than a $1600 Gibson Les Paul.

• Members

I sorta recently discovered Michael Kelly guitars. I now have a MK acoustic Club Custom 4 string bass and a Patriot Premium. The Patriot Premium electric is simply very very very nice! Everything is just really good about it. It's a $600 Les Paul-ish guitar that's better than a $1600 Gibson Les Paul.

I just did a simple finish repair on a friend's multi-thousand dollar 1996 PRS Standard. If someone who didn't know guitars thoroughly examined the PRS and my Patriot Glory, they wouldn't find any significant difference in build quality and wouldn't know that one cost a couple of grand and one cost less than $500.

• Members

I just did a simple finish repair on a friend's multi-thousand dollar 1996 PRS Standard. If someone who didn't know guitars thoroughly examined the PRS and my Patriot Glory, they wouldn't find any significant difference in build quality and wouldn't know that one cost a couple of grand and one cost less than $500.

Yeah. Sure, the top is a veneer, but of the higher end MKs it is over an actual carved maple top. And the neck tenon goes all the way under the neck pickup. You get a helluva lot of guitar for your money.

• Members

Cool, the Michael Kelly I bought 2 months ago reminds me of it

The workmanship is better than other guitars I've tried lately, but I bet I would prefer the strat shaped Vex/Hex, but can't find them locally anyway.

The super-strat Hex and the Vex series have a thin neck profile. The Valor is essentially a morph between a double-cut PRS and a Strat and has a neck profile like a Gibson (i.e. -- same as a Patriot), 24.75-inch scale length, and ebony fingerboard.

I bought a Valor Custom T model (Wilkinson tremolo). Like I said, it's sort of like a Strat, but it has a beautiful *thick* figured maple cap on top and a deep-tenon set-in neck. Fretwork, binding, finish, and overall craftsmanship on my Valor is the usual high quality you get on MKs. Unplugged tone is clear as a bell.

• Members

The combination of that top, the cream p'up rings and the cream pearloid p'ups is really striking.

Yeah it may not be for everyone. I decided if I was going to do it, I was going to all out. What I need to do now is gold dome volume knobs with abalone tops, lol.

Archived