Strat Tone Comparison: Van Zandt Handwound vs. Fender Texas Specials

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Quick comparison for people that like SRV tone

Clips - first some noodling on neck pup - RP500 on bypass no effects, second some Lenny on neck/middle - RP500 bypass no effects, and finally some quick noodling with neck pup, Tubescreamer and reverb from RP500

Van Zandt Vintage+: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10605664

Texas Specials: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10605665

The two guitars:

SRV Sig Strat (Alder body and maple neck, Pau Ferro fretboard) - Van Zandt Vintage+ which are a handwound set, slightly overwound, recommended by a lot of people who use it for SRV tones

Roadworn 60's (Alder body and maple neck, Rosewood fretboard) - Texas Specials (originally stock in the SRV strat)

Amp: Egnater Tweaker 1x12 combo, tone EQ controls @ 12 o'clock, vintage usa mode, normal and deep switch on, clean gain mode

Effects: Digitech RP500

• Members

I've gota set of Van Zandt Vintage Plus in a Strat that was previously an HSS with Texas Specials in the neck and middle, and the difference is subtle but noticeable. The Van Zandts are warmer, less "hollowed out", and with the tone rolled off to about 8.5, they're really sweet-sounding in a way I couldn't get out of the Texas Specials (which is why I replaced them).

I'm not really an SRV guy (no knock on his playing, just not one of my favorites) but I really, really like the Van Zandts.

• Members

I like the sound of both... The TS have a very unique sounding attack which I haven't really gotten from any other pickups. It's hard to describe, smooth sounding notes but very pronounced attack. The Van Zandt have a more mellow not as pronounced attack and are more musical in the b and e strings. The TS also have a just overall bigger sound too, it gives you that later SRV Crossfire tone well. I feel like the Vintage+ are good for a less gainy earlier SRV tone. Clean both of these have a darker, woodier tone, not super vintage sounding because they are both higher output.

• Members

In these clips, those TS have a bit more ring and bell to them (or bite, you might say) but I prefer the VZ. They feel more like wrapping you up in a warm blanket.

At the end of the clip, the dirty part, this difference is a lot more pronounced. The TS sound very thin and scooped in comparison (so it is probably more like SRV, but if I had to pick one thing to complain about with SRV, it's that sometimes his tone was awfully thin and needley)

• Members

SRV never played Lenny with #1. He kept the stock 63 pickups with the stock floting trem and lightest strings of any of his guitars on Lenny. Used it on slow clean songs, don't know if he ever used a TS on it.

[video=youtube;vL2-2y9AfYc]

Archived