One thing about my Gibby BFG

Dash4814

• Members

The finish on the neck wears quickly.

The cowboy chord area is wearing like crazy, as well as a few selected soloing spots. :o

Looks like I've owned it for a decade instead of the few months I've had it. :o

• Members

Are those Gibson's version of Roadworns? I guess the nitro finish must be pretty thin on those but isn't that part of the appeal?

Not really, it's kind of a different beast unto itself:

gibson_bfg.jpg

The finish is super thin all over.

I really like how it's wearing down, though, feel-wise. The thing I liked about the neck was that you could feel the wood grain, so where the nitro is thinning out it's feeling more like an old piece of furniture or something like that. I notice my Les Paul Jr., which has a similar type of finish, is feeling the same way.

• Members

I always thought the BFG would be a good platform for somebody who likes to do their own finish on a guitar. It's a basic finish guitar.

I wonder how my 50's TLP finish will hold up. I like the feel and sound, but the finish is obviously thin and cheap. I plan to refinish it as a goldtop, if I don't like the way the finish wears.

• Members

I believe it has a maple cap as well so you could really do a lot, assuming the wood looks decent. I imagine they weren't too picky with the tops.

I really like it. Been a few months and ive really enjoyed the pickup combo and feel.

And hey, it's a unique looking instrument. :o

• Members

I think the first word's wrong.

yup. its "brutal" if im not mistaken. then again, they just stole it from the gam eso who cares :p

i wonder how thin the finish is compared to the faded models. i have no "worn" spots on that, granted i dont play 6 hours a day - or even 1. i remember they said the raw power models has only 2 coats of nitro.

• Members

Thanks for the input on the finish wear. This just makes me want one even more. I have wanted one since they came out, but haven't found one in my price range or that I like. But its on my list of gits to get.

• Members

Thanks for the input on the finish wear. This just makes me want one even more. I have wanted one since they came out, but haven't found one in my price range or that I like. But its on my list of gits to get.

I'm a fan. :idk:

Archived