Is it even possible to do it Black Flag style anymore?

wezman2k

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sorry for reviving this thread from the dead or whatever, but just as a little "afterward" i figured i'd share some video footage of the band i started (4-6 months after i made this thread). this show was just a few weeks ago, and we've only played a handful at this point. i think we kick some ass but i guess i'm a little biased.

[YOUTUBE]bAryMnU0Tag&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]12C-1r3kDUo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]fYLA8WZ4RNY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

hope you enjoy.

• Members

Yep, definetely not. Underground and basement shows still exist, but it's largely bull{censored}--I know guys who are from pampered middle class to upper middle class homes trying to re-create the hard luck lives that those original guys had. And that's
exactly
when the "scene" started to stink--when people that weren't from the economical (and therefore social) background that those original guys were. Punks were marginalized---not accepted, generally not good looking (ie: did Ian MacKaye or Stephen Egerton not have a receding hairline....even when they were, like, 15?), or an outcast. Now i've seen plenty of people pretend that they're from the "wrong side of the tracks", and they have no clue what spawned that whole movement in the first place and are like a scientist in a lab, observing things instead of actually being the specimen, itself. I mean, if that's the life you live, play it and sing about it, but there's all this phony faux political nihilism and faux general nihilism that just drives me nuts. Being underground doesn't exclusively mean that you're "keeping it real". And on top of that, i've known guys in those scenes that are infinitely more militant and more narrowminded than the overground culture that they're supposed to reject in the first place.

You mean like this?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=37164179

:lol:

• Members

Yes, it is absolutely possible to tour like that. Bands still do it today.

Don't feel obligated to go to college and tour on your break. In my experience, the majority of folks who do that are just having weekend warrior dreams until they graduate.

Yes, everybody. I know there are several exceptions to that.

Go for it. DO IT. It may take a while and a few different bands before you get there. I turned 30 last year and spent almost half of the year on tour. In 2009, I'm going to do two US tours, three European tours, an Australian tour, and a Japanese tour. I have not had a real job in years and I'm having the time of my life.

Speaking of jobs, I accidentally got into the construction trade 11 years ago and I have found it to be an extremely good skill to have for someone who wants to tour a lot and not have to worry about quitting jobs or asking for time off or any of that. I work when I want, I tell people when I'm not working, and I make more per hour than anyone I know in my hometown and more than most of the folks I know as a whole with college degrees.

BTW, Black Flag is the greatest band ever(with the possible exception of Hank Williams, Sr.)

Thats exactly how to do it. Paint, Roof, labor, concrete, etc. You'll always have something to do. Pays good as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hit Record ‘cause it’s all {censored}ing pearls.

A bridge-burner to end them all.

Don’t want to bite the hand that feeds – I want to {censored}ing break it off.

When they say “You’ll never work in this town again”,

is that a promise or a threat?

Businessmen dressed up like friends,

they want to talk about business or friendship.

The more confused the better the guilt trip.

After all I did for you, don’t you owe me this?

Sign the paper, sign the paper, This Document Is Legally Blinding.

We the undersigned do solemnly swear by The Plan.

To break down on every highway from here to Creation.

To play the game and sit still for pictures.

How’s your draw? Does it look good on paper?

You’d better be someone? Oh aren’t you anyone?

Gonna be somebody.

We got friends in the music business.

They’re gonna take care of all the details.

So is it business or pleasure?

The more confused the better.

Don’t call me and I won’t call you.

• Members

Against Me is successful because they appeal to a broader audience than your stubborn punk crowd. They're not afraid to cross genres...

Against Me! is successful because they used the entire "{censored} the system" attitude to get big. They started as Tom on an accoustic guitar, then became an electric band, then went to MTV. They are the worst example of a true "punk" band. Seriously, talk about selling out. THeir new music sucks also.

• Members

Against Me! is successful because they used the entire "{censored} the system" attitude to get big. They started as Tom on an accoustic guitar, then became an electric band, then went to MTV. They are the worst example of a true "punk" band. Seriously, talk about selling out. THeir new music sucks also.

Please tell me what is a "real" punk band?

Archived