Whats the most difficult guitar song to play ever?

HEPNOTIC

• Members

It's probably from a technical guitarist like satriani, vai, or yngwie, but as far as mainstream bands go, my guess would be master of puppets by metallica, especially if you play it correctly and do only downstrokes.

In your opinion what is the most difficult guitar song to play? And can you play it?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anything by Michael Hedges. And no.

Start with "Breakfast In The Field" if you decide that you never want to pick up the guitar again. You would think that he had 4 arms, and almost all of his stuff was recorded without overdubs on an acoustic guitar.

Possibly my favorite pure guitar player ever...insanely talented, with a true songwriter's ear.

• Members

anythings physically possible, if you can be fucked learning 10 mile long solos note for note is where this question comes into play...it becomes about memory...

they're just improvising so its easy for the player...not for the copier...

p.s please dont say anything kirk hammet has played is difficult...its just not true ;)

• Members

Probably something out of the jazz world. I love dissonance, and I just can't follow most jazz but some of those players have incredible ears, hands and tone. I can't even fathom making those odd chord changes on the fly. Makes most rock and metal players look like philistines. Then again I wouldn't call writing the soundtrack to the Weather Channel an accomplishment.

Those jazzboxes must be comfortable, I've seen guitar players do an absolute blitzkrieg of notes without missing a single note.

• Members
Originally posted by HEPNOTIC

It's probably from a technical guitarist like satriani, vai, or yngwie, but as far as mainstream bands go, my guess would be master of puppets by metallica, especially if you play it correctly and do only downstrokes.

I 've found Master of Puppets an easy song to play, both rhythm and lead.

And yes, I too agree with anyone who says Hammett has played anything really difficult. I grew up listening to Metallica, still do, and still love 'em.

But Hammett just doesn't seem as impressive as he once did.

• Members

Originally posted by ifte

And yes, I too agree with anyone who says Hammett has played anything really difficult. I grew up listening to Metallica, still do, and still love 'em.

But Hammett just doesn't seem as impressive as he once did.

Technique != Songwriting. I could play the solo to Unforgiven without much trouble, but writing a solo that fits the song that perfectly is the really hard part.

• Members

Originally posted by MojoFilter

Start with "Breakfast In The Field" if you decide that you never want to pick up the guitar again. You would think that he had 4 arms, and almost all of his stuff was recorded without overdubs on an acoustic guitar.

Possibly my favorite pure guitar player ever...insanely talented, with a true songwriter's ear.

Gotta buy me a Hedges CD. I love his vids on youtube.

I would have picked John McLaughlin. I've been unsuccessful at copying his licks for decades.

• Members

Originally posted by MojoFilter

+1. I can play one of his tunes tho :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by HEPNOTIC

In your opinion what is the most difficult guitar song to play? And can you play it?

Lose your avatar and I might tell you. :evil:

• Members

Originally posted by racerxwannabe

anythings physically possible, if you can be fucked learning 10 mile long solos note for note is where this question comes into play...it becomes about memory...

they're just improvising so its easy for the player...not for the copier...

I agree that learning to duplicate anything done off the cuff is like catching lightning in a bottle.

I would think that playing Machine Gun off of Band of Gypsys note for note would be damned near impossible for the controlled feedback alone.

And then there's Spanish Fly by Eddie off of VHII. Even if you could figure out the notes, getting that tone from a nylon string - well, good luck. :freak:

Can't do either myself.

• Members

I can think of a number of classical guitar pieces (some from the Lute Suites by Bach or a violin Chaconne transcribed and played by Segovia .... partly it must be very hard because it is so long and all those chords on a classical guitar must cause emmense finger burnout moreson than on a light string low-action electric ;-) ! . Also becuase it is full of feeling, mere technical acrobatics will make it sound like a robot playing ;-)

• Members

Originally posted by sonic_alchemist

I can think of a number of classical guitar pieces (some from the Lute Suites by Bach or a violin Chaconne transcribed and played by Segovia .... partly it must be very hard because it is so long and all those chords on a classical guitar must cause emmense finger burnout moreson than on a light string low-action electric ;-) ! . Also becuase it is full of feeling, mere technical acrobatics will make it sound like a robot playing ;-)

Along these lines...

Asturias (Leyenda) by Albeniz has been one I've gone back to many times and I can never convincingly pull off. I don't think my hands are long enough.

• Members

Originally posted by sonic_alchemist

The Chaccone is a bitch to be sure. I attended a Julian Bream master class in the early '80s; Christmas time 1980 to be exact. Don't worry, I audited as I didn't pass the audition - but I did play for Bream. Anyway, one of the kids who did make the class was working on the Chaccone. He was really putting his heart and soul into it, and Bream picks up his guitar and starts improvising over the top of him with these classic (not classical) guitar faces. He then explains to the kid there is no way on earth he can keep up that kind of emotion for the whole 9 or 10 minutes (or however long it is) of the Chaccone. You have to keep your playing at a simmer, not a full boil.

Personally I never really cared for the Chaccone until I heard in played on Violin. :eek:

Archived