Besides paying tribute to a favorite band, THE MERMEN, check out the strat pup config

GAS Man

• Members

You can skip forward to 1:25 before the music starts

[video=youtube;ne_1mB-koSw]

I'm seeing Soapbar, P-90, Soapbar

Sounds like a coil config to me.

And this one is just another excellent vid of one of my faves

[video=youtube;64Rp2Xoeulk]

• Members

kind of a ringer here-i been MERMEN roadie since '99. that JimThomas guitar thangg has me hooked for long time. no one has a rig setup like his.

That's cool. I'd love to get down that way and hear them live. I think I've bought every CD of theirs. It's definitely one of my favorite guitar music tones. I first heard their music off of the mix CD "Attack of the New Killer Surf Guitars". http://www.amazon.com/Attack-New-Killer-Surf-Guitars/dp/B000000DSD

61l7BwSz20L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

As I went forward delving into more CDs by the varied artists, The Mermen ended up being my fave off that album with Los Straitjackets being a close second.

This is the Mermen track selected for the above album. A bit more aggressive and therefore appropriate for that mix CD.

[video=youtube;Rv9kK3rL_fs]

• Members

kind of a ringer here-i been MERMEN roadie since '99. that JimThomas guitar thangg has me hooked for long time. no one has a rig setup like his.

P.S. Any secrets to his tone you can divulge here? Like amps, reverbs, tremolos, delays, etc?

• Members

just the basics-amps and distortion are all the Fender RedKnobs-reverbs and delays are Lexicon rack stuff-tremelo is boss-no tone or volume pots on guitars. and the most convoluted/non ergonomic signal chain you would ever see.

• Members

^ That's interesting. I have a Fender Super 112 (Red Knob) I always loved its tone but it was always a complete lemon. I must have gotten the runt of that production run. It was constantly in the shop - always broken down, oh, that's where it is now. The tech told me he can't fix it because he believes it had some bad hacks working on it, whatever, but I finally have to throw in the towel on that one. He said he can either build me a completely new front end or I can use it as a power amp (Like a power engine). But I thought that amp had about the best Fender OD tone I'd ever had.

• Members

I got my Super 112 in '91.. Mine also spent time in the shop. I sold it late last year.

112_1email.jpg

Yeah, that's my amp there. Built like a tank as far as the cabinet goes (a real back breaker), but the mix of technologies in the amp is what I understand doomed them. Very hard to work on for the techs is what I'd been told, i.e. the "dreaded red knob Fenders". I'm up the road from you in the B'ham area, but I bought mine new down at American Music in the Seattle Freemont area in the early 90s.

Archived