EBMM Silhouette??

skdmrklcy

• Members

Is a EBMM Silhouette a good value at a little under 1k for a new one? I have never handled one in person but have played with a SUB 1 which I loved the feel of though I did not buy it because it was fiddled with and I did not quite trust it.

I like the look of it, and can not find anything bad about it really. It is White with no Trem, which is fine with me.

I had started to get into learning guitar but stopped for a bit thanks to school, and sold off my gear to pay for my other hobby (Competitive Shooting) and now I am getting the itch. I have a few acoustics coming in but neither are something I am going to keep for a long time, and found out a few bad things about them so I think they are going back. (Poor research prior to clicking buy...)

The other main options would be a Fender American Standard Strat, or if I can figure out if they make a Les Paul in my price range that does not have the crap finish on it. (1k or less)

Before you say it... I know I don't need to spend this much but I have it and would rather buy something that will last a lifetime rather than just be replaced. If I am a total falure it will also resale better....

• Members

if EBMM's budget line is any indication, their mainline stuff are some pretty outstanding instruments. I tried one of the Sterling Silhouettes (Silo 30) and I was quite impressed overall. A genuine one should be a pretty solid investment, though granted I dunno the typical resale for EBMM stuff.

• Members

Resale does not seem to be as good on EBMM as say a Fender Standard or a Gibson Les Paul. That being said I am already getting a great deal on the EBMM so I should be able to walk away with something if needed.

I have seen a Silo 30 and it was nice I wish I could find some EBMM local but it does not seem to be happening.

The two best guitar necks I have ever felt are a Fender Road Worn and the EBMM Sub 1. I really like the road worn but do not want to pay that much for a MIM Strat.

• Members

That's a great deal. Depending on which configuration, MSRP is $1,900 - $2,200, so you're getting it about half off. That's about what they go for used, so you should be fine.

I think the necks are a love/hate thing. It's a different profile from just about everything out there. The closest thing may be Rickenbacker. They are both somewhat narrow, but super-comfy.

• Members

$1000 is not a magical price point that will guarantee a a guitar to last a lifetime. Seriously check out Godin, they make a lot of great stuff in the $400-700 range that will last as long as you do. If you're set on a something like an EBMM or Fender, also check out G&L. For $1000 you can get a great guitar AND amp.

• Members

I like some Godin stuff but I would really like something made in USA.

I actually have an AMP that is good enough for the next few years at least. I am just not going to buy a guitar to start with then upgrade later... even though I know if I buy a squire vintage vibe it will do just as well in my hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

This thread seems to have been hijacked by Godin fanboys.

In answer to the original question: I would absolutely pay $1000 for an EBMM silhouette. I've never seen this guitar sell for less than $1200. They kick ass and they do retain their resale value. Ernie Ball Musicman guitars will outlive you. They are very well built.

Archived