2 lead guitars

bfloyd6969

• Members

I'm curious to hear how you all handle two lead guitarists in a band. Going on a whim here, but I believe that with a rhythm guitar and lead guitar, the two guitars are eq'd differently so that they can sit well together and not walk on each other in the eq spectrum. The lead guitar having the more dominant tone and the rhythm guitar to compliment. However, with dualing lead guitarists, how do you all seperate the two so as not to have them walk on each other in the eq spectrum, and still keep the two lead tones dominant? Thanks.

• Members

At local gigs, I rarely see two-guitar bands that have the guitars EQ'd correctly.

If you have two guys who will play leads at different times, make sure they both have boost pedals, unless you play every gig with a dedicated soundman who does that for you. If they're playing at the same time, just have them EQ'd differently, and at the same volume.

• Members

Well..the last band I was in that has another "lead" player had a different style and sound then I had. I have no idea about EQ of whatever was happening in the front of house mix. However the other guy was usually technically better than me so it didn't really matter. Some songs I'd solo in and some songs he would. One thing for sure is that we both were good rhythm players.

• Members

I should also add that it's much more important to write/play complementary parts than to have differing EQ, gear, etc. You can't always play the exact same thing, like I see many bands doing. Two guitars playing the same thing doesn't always make it sound powerful; it can often make it sound muddy.

• Members

Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. I remember seeing a Warrant (I think it was Warrant) concert back in the 80's. The band was not to well known at the time and they were an opening act. We got there early enough to sit through the soundcheck. When the tech was checking the rhythm guitarists rig, it sounded like total crap on it's own. Very high mid-rangey and harsh. Then they checked the lead guitarists rig and it sounded very full, warm, and thick. When they checked the two together it was a sound made for each other. The more harsh toned guitar fit perfect with the more "normal" toned guitar and you could tell there were two different guitars playing. Now if this were two lead guitars, obviously the harsh toned guitar would not solo very well - unless you were going for the ear bleed sound...

• Members

Personally, I find that if I play a Fender while the other guitarist plays a Gibson, those two guitars mesh really nicely. And I +1 the idea that you need to write complementary parts instead of worrying about amp settings. The two guitarists need to listen to one another and figure out how they can work together and stay out of each other's way.

You can do a lot worse than studying how Keith Richards and Ron Wood work together in the Rolling Stones:

[video=youtube;eD5rxVHfAlo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD5rxVHfAlo&feature=related

Here's another classic band that made two lead guitarists work really well:

[video=youtube;pVFx3vaHxGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVFx3vaHxGk

Archived