NGD - Gitano LP!

Whytlash

• Members

I figured it was time to post this, even though I got it about a month ago. I got this Gitano LP on eBay for two bills as something to have some fun with. I really liked the transblack flame maple top, and it turned out this thing is pretty well made. Mahogany body and neck, maple top, ebony fretboard, bone nut, Grover style tuners. Plays really nice, and the feel of the guitar both in weight and handling is really close to my '84 Gibson LP Studio Custom. Here is a pic from the auction and what it looks like now:

$(KGrHqZ,!j!E2Kyghh(LBNsL5ESc(g~~0_3.jpg100_0053.JPG

If the sun was out the flame top would show better, but this is Washington State!

I had the idea to do some black pearl stuff and wanted to try some P90 type pickups. I put in a set of the GFS Dream 90's with black pearl tops, and matching TRC and Pickguards. I haven't found a black pearl pickguard that's the lighter pearl like the pups and the TRC, but I'll keep looking. Can't seem to find a black pearl R/T switch ring, but I'll keep looking for that too. Also added gold top hat knobs black pearl inserts. Also put on a roller saddle bridge, it made quite a difference in sound. Overall, I like the look and the Dream 90's are pretty nice. Good sound to them, no hum - very quiet, a fun little "project" for not a lot of money. A few more pics below.

Steve

100_0058.JPG100_0055.JPG

100_0056.JPG

100_0057.JPG

• Members

Thanks for the comments everyone. As JSynthGuitarMan noted, there is not a lot out there in reviews for Gitano guitars. IIRC the only person I found selling them is the seller I got this from on ebay. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a good quality instrument and wanted to voice my opinion so there's one more review now! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Gitano, like the SG. I'm sure it's good quality also.

I compared it to my '84 Gibson LP since that's the only LP I CAN compare it to. Except for the fact that my Gibson hs the "fretless wonder" frets and the Gitano has medium jumbo, the feel is much like my Gibson. I play the Gitano all the time now and love it. The stock pickups were pretty good, but would get microphonic on high gain. Other than that, they are pretty decent. I wouldn't have a problem keeping them in the guitar if I hadn't decided to mod it up a bit.

Me and tweak'd are a couple of the lucky ones, we found out about this little gem! I could compare it to the RavenWest since I have one of those too, and I would say that the RW is a little better in quality and finish, but not by a huge margin. The RW is heavier and a little nicer but it was just a hair short of twice the price I paid for the Gitano at auction. The BIN price for the Gitano is four bills. I think it would be worth that, but that's the outer limit.

The top was the thing that caught my eye originally. It's really beautiful. I'm glad I decided to bite on this one!

Steve

• Members

Not to steal Steve's NGD thunder, but since the topic is Gitano LPs, I thought I'd post a few pics of mine. This guitar is easily the equal of an Epi, but with better pickups. The feel of the neck is closer to a higher end LP than the Epi's, as well. Paid $300 plus shipping for this one.

5771616547_cc62a4a25b_z.jpg

5825868723_e35021ce51_z.jpg

5825869431_9dbcbfed57_z.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

• Members

Hey! What're ya doin' stealin' my Thunder?!?

Ahh, that's okay, steal away.

Very nice! Great lookin' top.

Overall really nice looking guitar, except for one thng:

All your pictures are like looking through a microscope. You need to get the camera farther away so we can see the forest too.

(Hey, I had to find SOMETHING wrong so you don't steal ALL my thunder! :lol:)

Steve

• Members

I have yet to have anyone pinch my buttocks while playing this guitar, but just got it last month, so......

Dale, there is no model number, and the listing didn't have one. The box it came in didn't have anything on it either. I look at the ebay listings for the seller great-instruments and he has one LP listed with full binding:

This One

Thanks mnewb!

Steve

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I am a professional Luthier. I have a Gitano ES-335 in Natural Flame w/ Gold Hdwr and white binding. Paid $150 on eBay about 7 years ago. What a killer instrument! Virtually flawless in every way. Everyone that sees / plays it is hugely impressed. I've been looking for another ever since.

Archived