Questionas about harmony

danuniversal

• Members

Questionas about harmony:

How should I name the series of chords?

C Am Dm G7

If I take a progression like that from a coopyrighted song -just the progression, and nothing else- and I use a different time, different singing, different everything...Am I stealing the song? Just for taking the combination of four chords?

If I am not stealing the song, Can you give me more combinations of chords?

• Members

Questionas about harmony:

How should I name the series of chords?

C Am Dm G7

If I take a progression like that from a coopyrighted song -just the progression, and nothing else- and I use a different time, different singing, different everything...Am I stealing the song? Just for taking the combination of four chords?

If I am not stealing the song, Can you give me more combinations of chords?

Call it Dan's Fifth, careful you may go to jail if it has already been used however.:cop:

• Members

So, Which of you is telling the truth?

The truth is that unless you use an identifiable melody or progression to make huge sums of money, no one is going to care what you do.

Music has always been plagiarised, whether pop, rock, gospel, soul, house, trance, folk or classical.

Occasionally an opportunist comes along with a chance for lawyers to make money and make everyone nervous.

• Members

at the end of the day there are only so many ways you can combine chords within a single key.

i'm sure there are hundereds fo songs that are written using C Am Dm G

it's a simple I-VI-II-V progression, i think, maybe, perhaps..i don't knwo music theory is a distant memory in school rooms. either way, it's a dead common progression.

• Members

Every single chord sequence that sounds good has been discovered a long long time ago and been used millions of times over. In fact I challenge you to try n write a song at all and it not already be a well known sequence. So no, you can steal chord sequences all day long cos even if you didnt try you would still be unkowingly doing it anyway. And look at it another way - if in your seach to be different you try and come up with some unusual sequence I guarantee you that your music will sound weird...and be unsucessful. Oh yes.

And as those chords in your sequence are all diatonic...you can literally use any combination you want of the diatonic chords. Diatonic means "of the major scale" and in C major this gives you the notes C D E F G A B and the chords built from this are C Dm Em F G Am Bmin7b5. How many songs have you seen go C F G ??? or C Am F G or C Am Dm G7 as you mentioned etc etc.

• Members

C Am Dm G7 is a I-vi-ii-V, or "1-6-2-5" if you're not into the whole roman numeral thing.

See, C is your 1, so the triads fall as such:

I = C

ii = Dm

iii = Em

IV = F

V = G

vi = Am

vii* = Bdim

Uppercase are Major, lowercase are minor. The * signifies diminished.

As many people have pointed out on this thread, this progression has been used a bajillion and a half times to make a bajillion and a half $, so go ahead and rock it out.

Other chord progressions? Use any of those chords above in any order and see what happens. Keep it simple (groups of four, then repeat a few times). Then change it up. C and A minor are your homebases so give them their due. Sing some melodies on top. Vary the tempo/rhythm. Throw in a seventh or a ninth and you're really cookin' :thu:

Once you've mastered C major/A minor then try another key, rinse and repeat.

• Members

in all honesty, if someone bitchs at you about using a particular chord progression, thats bs, and no court will ever up hold that.

Basically your allowed to do anything you please, just don't be a dick about it.

Cover what ever song you want, if you cover the whole thing, then give respect where its due.

If you took a melody from someone, maybe just give a shout out to the original performer like saying "This song is inspired by ....." if you say that, I guarentee the original artist will be happy with you, cuz he gets credit, and people may be turned onto his music

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

well, you tell us what is good rock music and we'll tell you the progression.

Really, I would prefer "Sexy Sadie"...or "Happiness is a warm gun"

BUt just gimme something like a love song of the 50's, mixed with psychedellic rock, mixed with electric light orchestra, specially "Telephone line"

Archived