strat or tele?

boyad

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't have a real preference one way or the other, I love em both.

But in your case being that you already basically have a Tele (the word Fender on the Headstock isn't going to change how it sounds) I voted Strat.

I think it would change the sound, because its made with higher quality wood and different pickups

I believe the word Fender in the headstock is just a... (for lack of a better word) "guarantee" that the guitar will be of good quality and will sound good.

• Members

I think it would change the sound, because its made with higher quality wood and different pickups

I believe the word Fender in the headstock is just a... (for lack of a better word) "guarantee" that the guitar will be of good quality and will sound good.

There are no guarantees in brands and wood doesn't mean {censored} once you turn on the amp. Pickup flavor is a matter of taste, easy and cheap enough to switch out at any time.

Those Peavey aren't bad guitars at all. Have you had a good tech do a complete setup?

It all comes down to the individual guitar, not a brand.

• Members

There are no guarantees in brands and wood doesn't mean {censored} once you turn on the amp. Pickup flavor is a matter of taste, easy and cheap enough to switch out at any time.

Those Peavey aren't bad guitars at all. Have you had a good tech do a complete setup?

It all comes down to the individual guitar, not a brand.

yeah I sent the guitar to a store for the luthier to change the pickups

• Members

Add me to the 'I love both very dearly' contingent ... but overall a Strat works better for me as a basic stage guitar because I needs me some wigglestick.

That said, my Tele (a Jerry Donahue MIJ sig with 5-way switching and a Strat PU at the neck) gives me the most complete library of classic Fender tones I've ever encountered in a single instrument, has a FAKKIN LAVLY neck and it's my go-to guitar at home for songwriting and practice. It's also what I take to sessions where I'm primarily required to play rhythm and/or fills which don't need tremmage. If I didn't use the Strat's trem so much during live and solos, I'd probably never play anything else.

My recommendation: if trem isn't part of your style, chuck a Strat PU into the neck slot of a Tele and check out various wiring options ... with the Donahue 5-way switching arrangement, you don't need a middle PU ... you can get the classic Tele middle-position tone, plus a damn good 'quack' equivalent to the bridge+middle Strat setting ... plus that fabulous juicy neck PU either via the tone control or straight through to the volume knob.

• Members

From everything I've heard I would seriously check out
. You could get a T or S-Standard for about the price of a MIM Fender Standard and every indication is that it will be a much better guitar.

+1 for Benford. Steve makes some great guitars. I love my Benford Tele.

For indie rock, don't rule out a Jazzmaster or a Jaguar.

• Members

Well I really couldn't vote on this one. You would think since I have 5 Fender Telecasters I would vote for the Tele but I also have 4 Fender Stratocasters and my first real good guitar is a 1979 Fender Stratocaster... So I say you need a 3rd choice for both. :)

• Members

A lot of people like it more then a normal strat cause they don't want/need the twang of the bridge pickup, you can always split a humbucker.

A split humbuckr will not sound the same as a single coil IMHO. That is like saying a split humbucker will sound just like a P90. A split humbucker sounds like a split humber. :)

• Members

the HSS strat seems like a good option

I agree. It's the best option if you are going to have just one electric guitar. That PU configuration gives you great flexibility. And although some people may recommend a coil split on the HB I personally see no need for it (unless you really, really like that bridge SC sound).

The very best option, of course, is to have more than one guitar . . .

• Members

I agree. It's the best option if you are going to have just one electric guitar. That PU configuration gives you great flexibility. And although some people may recommend a coil split on the HB I personally see no need for it (unless you really, really like that bridge SC sound).

The very best option, of course, is to have more than one guitar . . .

in fact I have another guitar (plan to keep it when I buy the strat)... a peavey generation (tele copy) which I changed the pickups, the ones from stock weren't very good

Archived