Anyone Put an Invader PU in their Strat?

DTrane

• Members

naw, i know the blink strat had one, but this was a MIM strat mod job he had. he was playing nevermore type {censored} on it if i recall correctly.

yeah, I read he played with a tele baritone neck too.

• Members

I would totally suggest trying out a guitar that has an Invader. I have (the Delonge Strat) and quickly found it to be a one trick pony pickup for single note distortion lead playing.

Basically, the Invader sounds like unmitigated crap if you try to play chords at *any* amp setting. It's dark and a bit fugly sounding when you back off the overdrive into clean territory.

The one thing I have learned since sampling various high output humbuckers is that all you *really* need for single note distortion lead playing is an amp capable of creating the correct type of overdrive distortion for this sort of music and a mildly overwound humbucker. The humbucker can have either AlNiCo5 magnet or a ceramic magnet (I tend to favour a ceramic for this sort of tone), but too many windings (ohms) just sucks the life out of a pickup.

• Members

I would totally suggest trying out a guitar that has an Invader. I have (the Delonge Strat) and quickly found it to be a one trick pony pickup for single note distortion lead playing.

Basically, the Invader sounds like unmitigated crap if you try to play chords at *any* amp setting. It's dark and a bit fugly sounding when you back off the overdrive into clean territory.

The one thing I have learned since sampling various high output humbuckers is that all you *really* need for single note distortion lead playing is an amp capable of creating the correct type of overdrive distortion for this sort of music and a mildly overwound humbucker. The humbucker can have either AlNiCo5 magnet or a ceramic magnet (I tend to favour a ceramic for this sort of tone), but too many windings (ohms) just sucks the life out of a pickup.

I guess this is why tone is so subjective, I perceive the invader as a very great sounding pickup for all rhythm styles, but slightly lacking in good leads.... but still an all around great pickup, I put it in almost all of my guitars for several years and just in the past year stopped putting them in guitars, but that was mainly a change in musical style, not because I thought it sounded badly.

• Members

I guess this is why tone is so subjective...

In all honesty, since this was a guitar in a store, I was not able to lower the pickup. Some of the dissonance may have diminished if the pickup had been lowered. Nonetheless, I've never heard 3+ note chords sound so weird -- full of odd sounding intermodulations. I tried the Delonge Strat (pictured below) with various amps and it sounded similar no matter what.

Fender_Tom_Delonge_Stratocaster_Sea_Foam

• Members

I would love to try this pickup in parallel, but really, as dumb as this might sound, I find this pickup to look a little too "extreme," and therefore unsuitable for my tastes.

Thats why it would work well with this kind of band:

• Members

I had one in a kramer stratty guitar. Mine was split/tapped. the single coil sound was actually pretty bright. The biggest problem for me was that I didn't think it worked well with single coils. It was neck, middle BRIDGE.

It was really midrangey and out of balance. If I had the amp set to get a nice sound from the invader, then the singles sounded really nasally.

• Members

Im considering it cuz my strat is kinda bright and thought a darker pickup would sound good. I wont be be getting one for awhile. MF is outta stock. Im gonna look for a used one on CL or Ebay

Archived