How before you have to start replacing pots and wiring?

elsupermanny14

• Members

My MIM Strat is an '01 and it is now 2011. The electronics are now 10 years old and the guitar buzzes a lot. I mean A LOT! I even have a humbucker in the bridge and even the humbucker buzzes a bit, granted not as much as the single coils, but even the humbucker makes noise. I highly doubt it's the pickups themselves because the pickups were installed brand around 2005 and the single coils are shielded.

Is it possible that the wiring and the pots are getting old and causing all this noise after 10 years?

• Members

Check your input jack. Loose ground could cause buzz. That's your first place you should check. Check all your ground connections. Pots could last a lot longer than 10 years. I have a guitar built in 1968 that has the original electronics so there you go. I would bet you are having a ground issue..

• Members

Check your input jack. Loose ground could cause buzz. That's your first place you should check. Check all your ground connections. Pots could last a lot longer than 10 years. I have a guitar built in 1968 that has the original electronics so there you go. I would bet you are having a ground issue..

Agreed ^^^^

Thanks

Steve

• Members

+1 They could be worn out, but there could be another problem. Follow the above advice first.

• Members

Def check all grounds first as already stated. The Mim's I've seen have decent quality pots and switch to begin with so I doubt it's related to that. From what you say I'm guessing you didn't do any recent work. If you have been under the hood recently, did it start at that time? If so I'd bet a ground loop is the cause.

Archived