Could we define "program material?"

144dB

• Members

Hey all,

When reading about compressors, I've heard the phrase "program material" and I've always thought it referred to full arrangements (e.g. multi-track audio summed to a stereo pair). In other words, I've always thought of program material being material consumed by a mastering engineer. But I read an article the other day that made it sound like program material was individual track data (e.g. an individual bass guitar track, an isolated snare drum track, etc.), which is obviously a very different definition.

So which is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

• CMS Author

It's whatever you're recording, or receiving, or playing. Sound, in other words. I use the term when I'm talking about a non-specific sound source and don't want to use "signal" because it may not be electrical. But generally it's not considered "program material" until it's gone through some sort of processing, which could be a microphone. Or it could be a synthesizer.

Get the idea? It's a word we use when the actual material doesn't matter, only that it's available to process, record, or play back for our listening and dancing enjoyment.

• Members

The "program material" is the input fed into the processor. That could be a full mix or a single track or a submix.

For documentation on processors that are intended to remove unwanted artifacts, the term might refer to the signal versus the noise, in certain contexts, but it would generally be fairly obvious from the context.

• Members

Hey all,

When reading about compressors, I've heard the phrase "program material" and I've always thought it referred to full arrangements (e.g. multi-track audio summed to a stereo pair). In other words, I've always thought of program material being material consumed by a mastering engineer. But I read an article the other day that made it sound like program material was individual track data (e.g. an individual bass guitar track, an isolated snare drum track, etc.), which is obviously a very different definition.

So which is correct?

Thanks in advance.

Todd

It's a term I've been reading and using since I was 12 or so in the early 60s. I've been feeling, lately, like it's become something of an archaic term.

I've always taken it to mean typical content signal of more or less any nature besides test tones and circuit noise and such.

Reading intervening posts, I like Mike's definition. That's precisely how I think of it. Maybe because I've probably been reading Mike's manuals for years. :D I do, though, myself think that a distinction is often made in uses I've seen between program material and circuit noise. (As in phrases like, '... this will keep the program material 70 dB above the noise floor...' or the like.)

• CMS Author

Is program material generally also robust and game changing?

Of course. Program material has been around for more than 100 years and people are still consuming it. There would be no reality TV shows without program material. I'd call that "game changing." ;)

By the way, why do video editing programs call your stuff "assets"? Why not just refer to them as files, components, stuff ... or program material?

Because it's better marketing. The people who spend the big bucks have "assets" that they want to protect and be able to access easily. Files are those paper things in the cabinet in the corner. Or what you bake into a cake to get your buddy out of jail.

Archived