Help talk me out of this guitar!

cerebrix

• Members

011_1.jpg

ok heres the deal....

i quit playing guitar about a year and a half ago. was too caught up on gear. short version of the story is this. i left a guitar store i was in with my girlfriend. looked her in the face and said "ok so i finally know what i need. all i need is an axe-fx like they have and one of those tyler studios and ill be finally ready to get serious and take lessons!".

once that phrase left my mouth, i realized i just said i need about 8 thousand dollars worth of gear, before tax, to take lessons. i sold all my gear the next day and quit playing guitar because it was evident, i was in it for the wrong reasons.

a year and a half later, i miss guitar badly. (as im sure you guys have noticed i started posting again about a month ago).

so im looking to get a guitar and an amp. amp wise ive settled on the gdec 3. backing tracks. small enough to play in an apartment with hardwood floors and 13' cielings without it completely blasting through the place (even the smallest of speakers sound huge in this place).

so ive been looking for guitars. i was thinking about either one of those suhr imports (Which are amazing btw), a kws strat, or a road worn strat. then i stumbled on these godins. they sound amazing in every video ive seen them in. i hear nothing but amazing things about godin quality (i guess the session is either made in Quebec or Connecticut depending on the run). but these are half what a suhr costs.

heres the problem though. i cant play these locally anywhere in the los angeles/orange county area. nobody stocks them. so if i order, i order one sight unseen (or rather, unplayed at this point).

this things half what the suhr costs. am i crazy for considering it?

talk me out of this!

• Members

I just bought a trans red Godin SD with N-Tune. I also recently bought a Spider Jam, which is rather similar to the amp you're talking about.

You must buy that Godin and Fender...you have no choice.

• Members

Sometimes I think the posters of threads like this are doing reverse psychology on us. YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT, YOU KNOW WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU TO GET IT...

not trying to fool anyone =p

there are some other brands i mentioned there as well. its just that godin sounds so good and is so freakin cheap. it sets my bull{censored} meter off without being able to play it.

i actually played another guitar recently that kinda blew me away for being cheap. one of those sterling music man silouhettes. that kinda blew my mind too.

• Members

Can't go wrong with Godin. Personally, I like to try before I buy because different guitars have different personalities even among the same make and model, but Godin's making a great product these days.

If you hadn't noticed already, we're a bunch of gear addicts around here . . . and misery loves company. ;)

• Members

I have one and it is a great guitar for the money. The pluses are that it is very versatile tone wise, it is better looking in person than in pics, and is very confortable to play. The minuses are that the trem doesn't stay in tune at all, not just for diving but for small movement, the humbucker is a little weak imo, and the neck is a little thin for my tastes. All in all, I really like the guitar. I'm actually considering culling my meager herd to get something else and this guitar is safe from being solf off. Hope this helps. Oh and when I first got it the G & B strings went out of tune a little to easily, but that is was fixed with some Big Bends nut sauce, so not a big deal.

• Members

I have one and it is a great guitar for the money. The pluses are that it is very versatile tone wise, it is better looking in person than in pics, and is very confortable to play. The minuses are that the trem doesn't stay in tune at all, not just for diving but for small movement, the humbucker is a little weak imo, and the neck is a little thin for my tastes. All in all, I really like the guitar. I'm actually considering culling my meager herd to get something else and this guitar is safe from being solf off. Hope this helps. Oh and when I first got it the G & B strings went out of tune a little to easily, but that is was fixed with some Big Bends nut sauce, so not a big deal.

this is what i needed to hear. wont stay in tune at all. yeah... thats a no go. thanks dude.

• Members

Lol I know how to maintain a guitar. What I meant was that when using the trem, it won't stay in tune. With a little Big Bends Nut Sauce the other tuning issues (poorly cut nut and string trees) it was solved. Only when using the trem does the tuning issue become unmanagable.

• Members

I've been playing Godin's for over five years now. In a mass produced guitar, it has the best neck I've found so far. And their quality is hard to beat. They just make very good guitars. Period.

My next one will be an XTSA, LGXA or the Godin Montreal.

• Members

Cerebrix:

Concerning your issues with money, I've been in the same situation. Im a college student and ever since I got into guitar, I always wanted to buy my dream one first (a $3500 PRS), even though I haven't been playing for a long time. Being on a college budget though I realized that that's not possible, so I had to search for a guitar that I loved, was great quality that would last me years, and wouldn't cost me the price of a car. So I looked, researched, spoke to people, researched some more and finally found a guitar I love that I could afford, more than half less than the PRS. Point is, just cuz you found a more cost efficient guitar, doesn't mean the guitar is crappy or that you shouldn't buy it. In the case of Godin, I've heard nothing but praise about them, I think you're making a great choice and nor is it a "cheap" guitar. I guess I just talked you into it lol but you're fine!

• Members

Yeah this really isnt the place to get talked out of buying anything :wave:

Godins are great - the only thing I can think of thats wrong with them is that a lot of them seem to have the low E string too close to the edge of the fretboard so its very easy to slip off while playing... I think it may be how they cut their nuts :idk:

Archived