So we got an iPad and I downloaded GarageBand

Dash4814

• Members

This is seriously fun. :love:

I need a guitar interface though. I could mic my amps with the iPad's built in mic but that doesn't help the bass, and anyway I'd like to keep this self contained so I can be creative while the baby is asleep.

There's a $100 option but screw that. I'm thinking like $20.

Suggestions?

• Members

iRig works fine for me. I used my GC Players Rewards to get mine but I think they are $39. If you want a mic there is a iRig Mic that runs $69 I think. I haven't tried one though.

Garage Band on the iPad is a lot of fun.

• Members

I just started digging, the iRig looks like a good deal. Griffin makes one that's cheaper but seems to have worse reviews.

GarageBand is really a blast, limitations and all. I've been sitting around at night programming Smart Drums for a song. I love the grid system for creating beats, it makes sense and as long as you aren't too picky (for $5 how can you be?) you can get some great sounds.

• Members

Interesting, wonder why you can't bypass a sim.

I actually tried recording with the built in mic this morning and it is definitely not bad. For what this is I'm not sure I'd need a microphone. Acoustic came through pretty well, and vocals were good too.

• Members

iPad and GarageBand is the best music purchase I've made in years! It's not so much helping with guitar, since I don't play guitar all that much these days. But bass, piano, a deeper understanding of building rhythms and composing, all that is great. It's a wonderful tool and toy at the same time. It's so easy to get something going right away, I can plug in my USB maudio keyboard with the camera connect kit, or a guitar, bass or lap steel through the irig.

The irig is a bit noisy when you compare tracks to the in app instrument tracks, but I can live with it so far. The peavey version costs less and takes batteries to operate a noise reduction loop apparently, but I haven't tried one. I just grabbed an irig at target. The apogee product (the $100 one you mentioned) interests me, since it's supposed to be studio quality. If only I was studio quality...

• Members

those are cool, but I had a friend say he wanted that and an interface to record. I showed him a used Roland VS2400 for $1000 and he bought that instead. All those fun i-toys are cool to play with, but there is more serious gear you can buy used for the same price and have 200x the capability.

• Members

those are cool, but I had a friend say he wanted that and an interface to record. I showed him a used Roland VS2400 for $1000 and he bought that instead. All those fun i-toys are cool to play with, but there is more serious gear you can buy used for the same price and have 200x the capability.

You might want to check the price of a used first generation iPad. ;)

• Members

Howzit for taking on the train and building beats or adding a keyboard line? How long does the battery last between charges on that Roland vs2400 anyway?

200 x the capability? Where's the Roland app store again?

• Members

to be 100% honest, while I love amps as much as the next guy, it's such a pain -- you can get really tight, perfectly clean and neat guitar tones from a pud studio ux1 for fairly cheap. I think you could probably geto ne for not much mroe than $100. this gives you a ton of tones to choose from and there's no pain in the ass of micing an amp and trying to make sure nothing bleeds through etc etc. so hard to mic an amp and make it sound GOOD. at least in my experience.

I use a UX1 all the time and the quality of the sounds you can record are awesome. so convenient. there's one used on MF for $109 right now. and as a side note, it has a mic input, so you could use it as a mic to computer interface as well. :)

• Members

Well, for what it is the iPad+GarageBand is fun. It isn't supposed to be a "serious" tool, although it's pretty damn powerful. I've got a Tascam digital recorder and a DAW/ton of plugins for my "serious" production needs (as serious as a part-time hobby can be).

• Members

Interesting, wonder why you can't bypass a sim.

I actually tried recording with the built in mic this morning and it is definitely not bad. For what this is I'm not sure I'd need a microphone. Acoustic came through pretty well, and vocals were good too.

The stereo in built mics (imac wise, not sure if the Ipads have stereo mics) are pretty good to record with (have too been careful recording bass though, it can over laod the mics).

• Members

The stereo in built mics (imac wise, not sure if the Ipads have stereo mics) are pretty good to record with (have too been careful recording bass though, it can over laod the mics).

The mic (mono) is ok. Going to try MultiTrack as a recording app and see how that works with a mic'd amp and mixer in front.

• Members

Ok so i just looked at it on the ipad i have here and i'm intrigued....

5$ ?????

I have a BOSS 8 track recorder, but for 5$ .......?

I may have to give myself a 5$ father's day gift!!!

Question:

Is there any way to make a copy of your recordings onto a CD?

• Members

Ok so i just looked at it on the ipad i have here and i'm intrigued....

5$ ?????

I have a BOSS 8 track recorder, but for 5$ .......?

I may have to give myself a 5$ father's day gift!!!

Question:

Is there any way to make a copy of your recordings onto a CD?

Yes, you can email the file to yourself or send it to iTunes.

I haven't figured out a way to fade in and out or crossfade anything yet, I hope that's available in an update.

It's well worth the $5 if you have an iPad anyway.

• Members

Even if you don't start out with any way to connect instruments to it, GarageBand is still worth the money. You can do a lot with the built in instruments and deepen your understanding of how real instruments work and interrelate. Adding the interfaces for guitar/bass/mic and keyboard/mic really unlocks all the great amp and pedal models, as well as a bunch of cool synth sims, but the keys stuff is pretty awesome with just the touchscreen.

• Members

Sure......

Hey,

That was on Ipad's Garage Band?????? That was awesome ! ! ! ! ! !

How did you get that flute sound?????

I got the app today, and must admit it is a BLAST ! ! !

Come on Mr. Saturn, how did you do such a great job with that?????

Thanks for sending that!

• Members

Garageband can be a lot more than just a toy with some plugins. I have EzDrummer, Amplitube 3, Ampeg SVX, Guitar Rig 4 and Izotope Ozone 4. I also have an M-Audio Firewire Solo interface to plug my guitars into and a Shure SM-57 to record vocals and my acoustic. There's really not a lot of things I can't do in my 1 bedroom apartment that I could do in a full working recording studio.

• Members

Hey,

That was on Ipad's Garage Band?????? That was awesome ! ! ! ! ! !

How did you get that flute sound?????

I got the app today, and must admit it is a BLAST ! ! !

Come on Mr. Saturn, how did you do such a great job with that?????

Thanks for sending that!

The flutes and vocals were loops I found in Garage Band. I used the Garage Band keys just chords and some arpeggio. Programed the drums and congas. The Guitars were through the iRig. That whole thing took me about a hour to put together. It was a lot of fun.

• Members

Well the iPad version is very, very limited.

The desktop version, on the other hand, has progressed greatly since its first incarnation, which I got immediately on its release after being completely clueless in Cubase. It was dirt simple and fun. It's very sophisticated now, so much so that each version has accommodated each baby step in my meager production skills and kept me away from the behemoth that is Logic. Probably a good thing, as I wouldn't get anywhere close to touching Logic's depth.

Back to the iPad: I recorded some Smart Drums and put down an acoustic guitar part with the built in mic. Took 2 hours, total, with breaks for dinner and beer retrieval/dog walking. Had a blast. The mic, in short, kind of sucks for acoustic guitars, and the lack of EQ features or even decent reverb/compression in the program itself doesn't help. Still, for $5 who can be picky? It's an easy way to get sounds recorded. I want to finish up the song with an electric guitar and bass, plus a vocal track. I'm out of town for work all next week and the wife wants the iPad for herself (selfish :mad: ) but I'd like to have it done after I get home. Guess I need an iRig.

Archived