NGD: Hagstrom III

osbornkt

• Members

Hey folks,

I picked up a stellar Hagstrom III today, and absolutely adore it. I've not heard of many people having a Hagstrom as a main axe, but I can certainly see this one becoming my go-to guitar. Such an easy neck and responsive action...It's heavenly.

P1010598.jpg

• Members

I've known a few people over the years that had Hagstrom as their main guitar. I once had one of their basses, a short scale, that I quite liked.

Your guitar looks very 'stratty' how does it sound with the three pickups?

• Members

It feels a ton better than any Strat I've picked up...The ones I've messed with have seemed a bit bulky and cumbersome (personal preference)

The three pickups are really great, actually. There is a huge range of sonic options that I really like...You can get the Fender-esque twangy sounds, to a smoother, more colorful tone.

• Members

I have one in red that I bought in 1971 used. I liked the neck a lot. At the time it was a great for me because back then cheap guitars usually had terrible necks and high action. It was definitely an upgrade from my previous guitar, which I bought at Sears. I never liked the pickups and electronics.

The body on mine is starting to crack and the vibrato broke a long time ago. Its not in anything resembling its original condition, partially due to an aborted attempt to change one of the pickups, and it is just sitting in its very cool tiger strip lined case. I thought about using the neck with a different body but now the neck feels too narrow for my hands.

p1_uq3zaih1n_so.jpg

This isn't mine, but looks like it.

• Members

The body on mine is starting to crack and the vibrato broke a long time ago. Its not in anything resembling its original condition, partially due to an aborted attempt to change one of the pickups, and it is just sitting in its very cool tiger strip lined case.

It's awesome you've had one for that long. The red finish looks rad on an old Hagstrom! It's a shame about the cracks and such, but it could make for a good project one day!

• Members

Pat Smear plays them exclusively, and has played them for the past +20 years.

patsmear_wh.jpg

woo hoo!

Pat Smear was the only I could think of, besides Zappa and Bowie (wasn't his rebranded as a Kent?)

Any other Hagstrom regulars come to mind for you guys?

• Members

Pat Smear was the only I could think of, besides Zappa and Bowie (wasn't his rebranded as a Kent?)

Well, even Bowie just used it as a prop if I remember correctly.

Elvis used one for his big comeback special in '68.

I've always wanted one myself, if not a vintage one it'd sure be nice for the new Hagstrom to reissue the I and III and so on. They're quite the unique instruments.

• Members

Mark Arm from Mudhoney played the Hagstrom III a lot back in the day. He's even playing one on the cover of Superfuzz Bigmuff.

[video=youtube;S6GxTeZqdJA]

Archived