More Pics - 4 N(ewer)GDs = 3 Les Paul Specials & 3 Nighthawks

GAS Man

• Members

I really used to despise Les Pauls AND P90's, but somehow, I've really come to love LP Specials. Here's mine from '97 (I think):

191057_833213836015_38409559_42253366_38

The original owner replaced the bridge P100 with a P90, and I love it! GasMan, your collection is incredible.

• Members

amazing is all I can say, that's one killer collection. I wouldn't know which one to play LOL

Thanks. Just working on the "family group photos" lately. I really am a sick f@#k and do have that "GAS vs play" problem with getting around to playing them all, so after I've completed my 12-step program, I am going to come up with a schedule to rotate the girls so none of them get jealous.

Call me on my bull{censored}, but the last guitar I have on order is one of these.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71161.001_heritage_cher

I may eventually also succumb to the temptation of the Eastwood Airline MAP with single coils due largely to this tasty video

[video=youtube;KPw6QaMFx-0]

But after that, I'll need self control or restraints.

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I don't think I bought it until somewhere in the early 90s (like maybe early '93) so it must have been NOS (new old stock). Its S/N is 940109765. The other thing a bit odd about it is that it is Fireburst and according to the specs of the day, that color was not available on the Specials but only on the Standard and Custom. Maybe it was a prototype
:idk:
. I remember I bought it on impulse at an American Music store in Seattle one day after dropping off my son to the X. So I was down and that guitar looked like a nice "pick me up". Later I felt like I'd been hosed by their price compared to the $5XX+ that they used to sell "NH Specials" for in the catalogs back in the early 90s. I remember they had a really high MSRP (around $1300) on the tag that made me feel like I was getting a good deal at around $800. So possibly it was a bit of a rare dog.
:idk:

Correction

I was thinking of the issue you raised BG76 and indeed had been curious myself why that guitar would have that date. As I stated above its S/N is 94010976 which under normal Gibson numbering conventions would make it a 1990, but I did some googling today for a 1990 Nighthawk and came up with this from the bluehawk.info site:

In 1977, Gibson introduced the serialisation method that remains in use. This updated system uses an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both numbering and dating functions. The pattern is as follows -

YDDDYPPP

bullet YY is the production year

bullet DDD is the day of the year

bullet PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

....however, in 1994 all Gibsons had serial numbers starting 94xxxxxx - so watch out you early NightHawk owners

That makes more sense with the time period I remember getting that guitar. So I stand corrected, it's a 1994.

In the words of the late great Johnny Carson -

I did not know that! :idea:

Archived