Single coil pickups for metal?

Guitarist+

• Members

If you have a reverse-wound, reverse-polarity middle pickup, you can hook up a switch to let you put it in series with the bridge pickup. It then becomes basically a humbucker, just with the two coils spread farther apart than normal.

As honeyiscool said, there's still a bit more articulation to the tone (he calls it "glassiness") than with a regular humbucker, but not so much as the regular stock parallel M+B setting. Run that through a distortion pedal and it's close enough for live work.

Ritchie Blackmore used a stock Strat on early Deep Purple ... not "metal" by today's standards but it was considered "heavy metal" back then. Or at least "heavy rock." And yeah, Glenn Tipton & KK Downing used stock Strats on some songs back on their first couple albums -- but they used SGs when they wanted to get a little heavier.

[video=youtube;CeR_gpbGrgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeR_gpbGrgw

[video=youtube;pBpARcnsG3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBpARcnsG3Y

• Members

Tony Iommi recorded most of Black Sabbath's debut album with a Gibson SG Special with P-90's which are single coil pickups. 40+ years on and you can't get a better early hard rock tone than that.

There ya go.

• Members

I can get something passable with my Strat but I have an overwound bridge SC pickup with a beefy ceramic magnet + blender wiring. Sometimes, I like to use middle + bridge and then blend in some neck for fatness...but there is 'quack' to contend with...so, I dial back the tone control to reduce the quack. Also, I've noticed that using a good modeler can help you get even further toward metal tone with a Strat. But, it sure is easier to grab my Gibson MIII...which is voiced for metal.

As far as single coils go, it's much easier to do metal with P90's IMO. They have their challenges too for certain things but the versatility of that design is pretty remarkable.

• Members

If you have a line 6 amp (Spider whatever) you can get a passasble (but not very good) metal tone with single coil pickups. Anything you plug into one of those inherrently has a bad metal tone (even the clean channel has a very 'static' sort of tone). I just got a Fender Mustang III, which really lets the guitar shine through so I can't get a real thick metal tone (I really consider this to be a good thing); with the line 6 I could probably have plugged a harp into it and gotten some cheesey pinch harmonics and djent.

Sorry, I guess the short answer from my perspective is no.

• Members

Yeah I used a Fender Tele for metal for a long while, as long as you have a high gain amp head (I used a Mesa Dual Rec) and throw a noise gate in the loop they sound great imo. Hell I even get some good metal tones from Fender Wide Range humbuckers as well...... it all depends on the amp more than the guitar for me, that and being able to control any buzzing/feedback/noise.

• Members

technically, a lace sensor red is still a single coil and has a lot of output. you could probably find one used quite cheap as a lot of people don't seem to like them

i would think a seymour duncan quarter pounder could pull off some NWOBHM

i think you need to describe the kind of metal tone you mean. there are many

I'm really interested in trying/hearing that brisge-mid position on a strat in series. does anyone have any clips?

• Members

I suspect for noise reduction and to get the proper thickness for modern metal you'd need at least a stacked humbucker like the Kinman or the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage. Kinmans are especially good for keeping that single coil tone without the hum; worth every penny but bring a lot of pennies. As mentioned before, Jannick Gers of Iron Maiden uses a Hot Rails-equipped Strat. That gets plenty metal.

That said, Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine often uses a stock Tele and he sounds pretty heavy.

• Members

I can get something passable with my Strat but I have an overwound bridge SC pickup with a beefy ceramic magnet + blender wiring. Sometimes, I like to use middle + bridge and then blend in some neck for fatness...but there is 'quack' to contend with...so, I dial back the tone control to reduce the quack. Also, I've noticed that using a good modeler can help you get even further toward metal tone with a Strat. But, it sure is easier to grab my Gibson MIII...which is voiced for metal.

As far as single coils go, it's much easier to do metal with P90's IMO. They have their challenges too for certain things but the versatility of that design is pretty remarkable.

Do you think a guitar with a P90 in the bridge and neck could do good distorted tones on the bridge position and good cleans in the neck?

• Members

Much of old Judas Priest from the 70's was done on a Strat with single-coils before a Super Distortion was thrown in there!
The first Black Sabbath album too!

Toni Iommi's Strat broke very early on in the recording of the first Black Sabbath album. Iommi used a Gibson SG Special (with P90s) that was owned by the studio to record the whole first Sabbath album. Iommi liked the SG a lot and ended up buying that SG and using it throughout most of the 1970s.

About a year and a half later, Iommi bought a white SG Custom with humbuckers. It got stolen a few weeks later. A few months after that, Iommi bought *another* (identical) white SG Custom with humbuckers to replace the stolen guitar. In no time, the second SG Custom was also stolen. He ended up staying with his original SG Special (with P90s) after the two SG Customs were stolen. Neither of the white SG Customs were used to record album tracks, though there is one TV video with him playing it.

• Members

Toni Iommi's Strat broke very early on in the recording of the first Black Sabbath album. Iommi used a Gibson SG Special (with P90s) that was owned by the studio to record the whole first Sabbath album. Iommi liked the SG a lot and ended up buying that SG and using it throughout most of the 1970s.

About a year and a half later, Iommi bought a white SG Custom with humbuckers. It got stolen a few weeks later. A few months after that, Iommi bought *another* (identical) white SG Custom with humbuckers to replace the stolen guitar. In no time, the second SG Custom was also stolen. He ended up staying with his original SG Special (with P90s) after the two SG Customs were stolen. Neither of the white SG Customs were used to record album tracks, though there is one TV video with him playing it.

Whoa, that entire first album was recorded with P90s?

Must get a guitar with P90s.

Archived