What Would You Have Done?

• Members

Please discuss with your judge why you steal. We don't give a damn about criminals, and one less on the street is fine with me.

Pissing in the wind. Less righteous indignation and more effective solutions please. Righteous indignation = tiresome.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pissing in the wind. Less righteous indignation and more effective solutions please. Righteous indignation = tiresome.

What happen to you when you would steal a sausage in the grocery store?

Do you think the sausage fabricant will sue you, or put a copy protection on the bratwurst?

• Members

"What happen to you when you would steal a sausage in the grocery store?"

If I could make food available to everyone in the world on demand for free in perpetuity, I would do it without a second thought and happily go to jail for it.

Crappy music, not so much.

• Members

What happen to you when you would steal a sausage in the grocery store?

Do you think the sausage fabricant will sue you, or put a copy protection on the bratwurst?

I think copy protection on bratwurst is close to the absurdity of our current situation.

Anyway, the real problem is that anyone can duplicate the sausage, without penalty. Yet we expect that not to happen, as a business plan?

• Members
People who illegally download music from the internet also spend more money on music than anyone else, according to a new study. The survey, published today, found that those who admit illegally downloading music spent an average of

• Members

We need new models and new ways to think about monetizing creative media works. Again, the cat is out of the bag and pretending it isn't
does not work
. Piracy will not be defeated on an open web. Will not happen. And if we have to choose between an open web or enforceable copyright law, I am 100% behind an open web...

That's true, I agree, but it's also kind of beside the point. I'm all for people coming up with new models, but when an artist chooses the traditional model for releasing their music, they expect people to pay for the music, and going around saying "that model is broken anyway" doesn't justify the disregard for the rules of that particular model.

I see people using the "we need new models" argument as justification for downloading music a hell of a lot more than I see artists actually trying to use a different model.

• Members

Okay, I understand.

Everything should be free, music, pharmaceuticals, Nespresso machines, all Beatles record can be downloaded legally when you once bought a copy in 1962, as well everybody has the right to copy branded sausages with a recipe.

And composer and lyricist are luxury job, and therefor doesn't deserve to get paid, they can work in a grocery store for income, filling up the spaghetti rack early in the morning, and then compose in their leisure time.

• Members

Bravo - it can be difficult to stand up for what you believe in at times like that. I'm not exactly passionately anti-piracy but, if I were, I would have made a joke of it initially, getting more serious if they persisted.

My views on drugs/alcohol are pretty controversial in the eyes of my friends so I rarely express them in an explicit way. I have a serious quarrel with people who support gang crime via purchasing drugs (especially if those people are pro fair trade.) On alcohol, I see drinking more as a surrogate activity that burdens society - though I accept it as an 'opiate of the masses' since I'm not idealistic. Me expressing my views wouldn't change much in most situations so I just leave it. People know I don't drink/do drugs but I act fairly casual about it. If I were placed in a tricky situation like that with regards to the aforementioned, I'd humorously and politely express my feelings and try not to have it come off as a personal attack on their character/lifestyle.

I think that correlation has more to do with the age groups of people who are most likely to download music illegally.

Then again, I imagine that people who pirate albums alot and are probably also going to be going to alot of gigs. This differs from people who might have bought the Adele album in a supermarket and would only go to a gig if they were dragged along to it.

• Members

"Everything should be free, music, pharmaceuticals....."

If I could make medicine available to everyone in the world on demand for free in perpetuity, I would do it without a second thought and happily go to jail for it.

• Members

"Everything should be free, music, pharmaceuticals....."

If I could make medicine available to everyone in the world on demand for free in perpetuity, I would do it without a second thought and happily go to jail for it.

If you would be capable doing so, then you would spend hundreds of billions of your own cash, or medicine and music would not exist with you in charge.

Of course the whole world would thank you when you publish your personal list of what music must be payed for, and what is crap for free.

• Members

"If you would be capable doing so, then you would spend hundreds of billions of your own cash, or medicine and music would not exist with you in charge."

I think that you're misunderstanding what I'm saying with regard to cultural products.

To be clear: I'd be fine with the total cessation of the development of, say, new kinds of food items and recipes, if the distribution of food was free, automatic, and unlimited.

That point is at least one place where physical goods differ from cultural products, as that situation is most likely a real impossibility for physical goods. But it is a point where the comparison to physical goods should break down for any ethical person.

You can charge as much as you want for your crappy music, and try and get as much of a monopoly on its distribution as you want as far as I'm concerned...

• Members

For me recorded music is a product as any other product, for example milk in Tetra-Pack.

Creepedy crap sells the most, Stravinsky fewest, which can be an indicator for the intelligence on this planet... beam me up Scotty.

And most of the cats posting here sell under five mp3 per year, and their piracy rate is 0.000000000000000001 mp3 per year.

• Members

I see people using the "we need new models" argument as justification for downloading music a hell of a lot more than I see artists actually trying to use a different model.

Well at least you see reality. That's not the same as confronting it, living in it, or dealing with it in a forward-looking and effective manner. I guess admitting to it is a good first step.

• Members

My God the OP is awfully pretentious.

I didn't get that vibe at all. He wasn't saying "I'm so great," he was saying "how do I deal with this?"

My daughter is one of those people who owns everything that's on her hard drive. She doesn't think she's superior, she just thinks you're supposed to compensate people for their work, so she does.

• Members

Tell that to the millions of people who do it. They don't listen. There's no effective way to enforce it, either. OK, now what? Stand on a (virtual) street corner and scream about how life isn't fair? Gee, that seems productive.

People who have a bank account, or credit card, learn extremly fast, when their cash disappers in Belarus.

• Members

Smart:

For Skrillex, Christmas was a time for giving - even if that meant allowing his fans to illegally download his album for free. On his Facebook page last Friday, Dec. 23, the massively popular dubstepper, who just grabbed five Grammy nominations, posted a message to fans telling them his new EP, "Bangarang," had just been released via Beatport, but "just like i always say, go pirate it if you don't have the money... i just want you to have it."

Stupid:

Early last week we noted that, using the tool, YouHaveDownloaded, some folks in the Netherlands noticed that the local music collection society appeared to be engaging in infringement. You knew that wasn't where things would end. Soon after that, people spotted infringement emanating from NBC Universal, Sony Pictures and Fox Entertainment -- three of the biggest supporters of ever more draconian copyright law. And, of course, that was just the beginning. The RIAA and Homeland Security have now also been identified. And, no, in most of these cases, it's clearly not just for research purposes or to find infringers. The RIAA, for example, could probably get away with downloading music... but the first five seasons of the TV show,
Dexter
? That's tougher to believe. The folks at Gizmodo have calculated just how much the RIAA's likely infringement here should cost, using the RIAA's own metric of the maximum statutory rates of $150,000 per infringement... and figured the RIAA owes about $9 million. Somehow I doubt we'll see the RIAA pay up any time soon.

Archived