Crate v33 to Soldano SLO mods

wagdog

• Members

So anyway...

I messed around with different tube configurations in the v18 today.

Tried a 12au7 in the PI, v3 - sort of took the overall volume down, but also lost some shimmer.

Tried a 12at7 in v1, took some oomph out of the amp, but didn't provided more headroom, it just didn't have as much overdrive crunch, and when it did crunch it wasn't well defined at all.

Tried an ay7, in v1 and v2...

In fact, I pretty much bounced everything around everywhere and ended up...

with a set of EH 12ax7's in v1, v2 and v3 and it just sounds great that way, so I'm going to leave it.

I may pickup a pair of JJ EL84's, or EH's at some point as I like those. There are sovteks in the power amp right now.

The clean tones on the v18 and v33 are great.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Wag - do the SLO mods sound the same in the 18 and 33? Does the 18 have the hiss on the clean channel the 33 does?

Well, no, mine doesn't sound the same. That's sort of my fault as I diddled around w/the v33 quite a bit after modding it, so it's not really a "SLO" modded v33 anymore... it is, sort of, I guess. I forgot what I did exactly, but I toned things down a bit as the gain was excessive.

I'm also getting quite a bit of heat build up after running the v33h for a while - I think the tube placement is to blame.

The v18 only has one channel, which is approximately the same as the v33's dirty channel... and there is no hiss.

• Members

Can the SLO mod be done to the Crate V5212 VFX combo amp? If the mod is possible, I will hire an amp tech to do it since I am not qualified to do it. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

No idea.

Bring the mod and schematics to your tech and ask them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

any of you guys knotice how similar the "presence" circuit (actually the whole preamp relly) of the v33 is to the mesa dual recto?

I wonder what would happen if i added a pot and plugged in the mesa values do you guys think it would be a worth while change?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

This is off topic but I am curious if anyone has sold one of their modded V33 and how much they got for it? Ever since I got my Fender Blues Deluxe my modded V33H is just gathering dust and I could use some cash to fuel some gas
;)

The user dunning-kruger is interested in a modded v33

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=41367069&posted=1#post41367069

• Members

I saw an unmodded V18 going for 225 used in a local shop a while back. Which isn't bad if the original owner paid what I did (150).

But you never know with Modding sometimes you can get more sometimes you can't depends on the buyer. I would guess you'd be able to at least get the money you put into it back

• Members

I saw an unmodded V18 going for 225 used in a local shop a while back. Which isn't bad if the original owner paid what I did (150).

But you never know with Modding sometimes you can get more sometimes you can't depends on the buyer. I would guess you'd be able to at least get the money you put into it back

I am not looking to get much but definitely do not want to loose any money on it. I am thinking around $275 + shipping.

• Members

How much do you want for the 18? is it modded up or not?

It's modded. I did the SLO mods, then backed it off a bit as it was too much gain (IMO). 2x jensen mod-35 speakers and a reverb tank as well.

If I sold it, it would be locally as it's pretty big and adding shipping wouldn't be worth it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I had the mods done. The amp was very "in your face" so I looked at some of the tube rolling suggestions folks had contributed.

In the preamp, I've settled on a Sylvania 5751 in V1; Shuguang 12AX7 in V2 and a GE 12AV7 in V3. I can dial in nice cleans, but that was always the amp's strength anyways.

The drive channel tends to be muddy. Verne Andru had commented on using 12AU7s; 12AY7s and/or 12AT7s in V3. For my ears, the 12AV7 was the solution. The EQ on the drive channel is completely different than on the clean, but the drive channel is now very usable.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I had the mods done. The amp was very "in your face" so I looked at some of the tube rolling suggestions folks had contributed.

In the preamp, I've settled on a Sylvania 5751 in V1; Shuguang 12AX7 in V2 and a GE 12AV7 in V3. I can dial in nice cleans, but that was always the amp's strength anyways.

The drive channel tends to be muddy. Verne Andru had commented on using 12AU7s; 12AY7s and/or 12AT7s in V3. For my ears, the 12AV7 was the solution. The EQ on the drive channel is completely different than on the clean, but the drive channel is now very usable.

I liked mine pretty good, if anything I changed the gain pot to a 1m. I've yet to add the fet cathode follower and I might add the dual recto style presence control tomorrow.

Archived