Crate v33 to Soldano SLO mods

wagdog

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The nearest major city that would actually have equipment for rent? I would say Boston... and I never go there if at all possible.
:)

If you ever get into Manhattan I'll try and hook you up with a buddy in Yonkers that has a wall of cab's and is setup to record clips.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i just did the mods, the distortion is killer now. the only thing i dont like is that it has a **** load of noise with high volume I'm hoping that changing the opamps will fix this. Again The distortion tone is killer, i got a super sweet page tone from it thanks for this mod steve!

• Members
That guy is a really nice guy
:thu::p

i almost feel like just keeping it and trying to mod it myself.

We'll see..

I traded for IBDBB's V33H and shortly thereafter modded it using Steve Ahola's schematics so I could keep the cleans discrete from the OD. MUCH better than stock on the OD side now--clear, crisp, tons of gain, and NO mud. The only thing left to do is to get the Accutronics reverb tank (I didn't do the down-n-dirty fix) and put it in.

Having the option to toggle back and forth on the clean side between clean and crunch is pretty nice.

The mod took me about 4 hours start to finish, and I think I spend about $14 in parts (excl. shipping) from Mouser. One change I did make was to use a SPST toggle swith rather than the DPDT Steve Ahola called for...

It went from what was basically a good souding but ultimately single usable channel amp (cleans) to a killer-sounding 3-channel amp (cleans/crunch/OD).

I'm happy with it, although I do find that, for me, combo amps are a bit more handy than head/cab setups.

• Members
It is cool to still see people doing these mods. I still need to put the clean/crunch switch in mine and replace the reverb tank. I am tempted to hunt down another V33H and mod it so I have a back up
:)

I sold the v33 head I had, and the 4x12 - just weren't getting any use down in my basement. Still have the v18 at our rehearsal space though.

If I came across another v33 and the price was right, I would definitely pick one up again to mod - it's a lot of fun messing around with these amps.

• Members

I sold the v33 head I had, and the 4x12 - just weren't getting any use down in my basement. Still have the v18 at our rehearsal space though.

If I came across another v33 and the price was right, I would definitely pick one up again to mod - it's a lot of fun messing around with these amps.

I thought you were gigging with your V33H or was it you just brought it to a few gigs to try it out?

Yeah it was a lot of fun modding the amp and I kind of miss that.

• Members

I thought you were gigging with your V33H or was it you just brought it to a few gigs to try it out?

Yeah it was a lot of fun modding the amp and I kind of miss that.

I brought it to a few gigs, worked great. The only problem (not really, but) was that I only had a 4x12 cab, and that sucker was heavy (compared to my hrd).

I guess for me the fun part was modding it.

• Members

any ideas on how to re-purpose the boost switch relay? I have a couple of crate v30s and have modded one based on bogner xtc schematics. I have the decoupling cap on the last gain stage on a switch and would like to be able to use the footswitch to add in the extra gain.

• Members

bump for the day crowd.

fwiw, I've been following this thread from the very beginning, and I suspect everyone here who has modded this amp or a v18 has as well.

Odds are nobody here has an answer for this.

There seems to be a more active modding community over on "the gear page" site, you may want to check that out.

• Members

fwiw, I've been following this thread from the very beginning, and I suspect everyone here who has modded this amp or a v18 has as well.

Odds are nobody here has an answer for this.

There seems to be a more active modding community over on "the gear page" site, you may want to check that out.

thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

So whats the benifit of having a lower gain tube in v3?

I HAVE A NOS 12AU7 I may be willing to put in there.

V3 is the PI, it will not effect the gain or overdrive in the preamp, v1 is most important there, but will reduce gain to the power amp, EL84s, like turning down your master volume. Best thing is to put it in and try it. I found changing tubes in the v1 and v3 had the biggest impact on the amp. V1 biggest impact on preamp, v3 biggest impact on power/output amp. Some put a "drive" tube in v3, like the 12AT7, a little lower gain but a very different transconductance, biased tube...

• Members
V3 is the PI, it will not effect the gain or overdrive in the preamp, v1 is most important there, but will reduce gain to the power amp, EL84s, like turning down your master volume. Best thing is to put it in and try it. I found changing tubes in the v1 and v3 had the biggest impact on the amp. V1 biggest impact on preamp, v3 biggest impact on power/output amp. Some put a "drive" tube in v3, like the 12AT7, a little lower gain but a very different transconductance, biased tube...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm looking into replacing the opamps when I do the SLO conversion to my V33, and found this thread with a mouser part number for some good opamps to use:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=30546394&postcount=2

However, that part number looks like it is out of stock at mouser until February of next year. Anybody know of another one to use, or another place that sells that one?

It looks like at mouser they have different versions of the TLE2072, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them.

The one that Verne recommended in his post (which is out of stock) is mouser part number 595-TLE2072ACP.

However, they have in stock other opamps that seem to be TLE2072s, but have some other letters at the end of the part number, such as

TLE2072AIPE4
TLE2072AIP
TLE2072IPE4

Anybody know anything about these, whether they can be used in place of the recommended one?

• Members

Alright, thanks for the tip.

I did look on TI's website and found a list of distributors. Of the ones in my state, only two of them had any in stock, and one of the two required a minimum $250 order. But now I have some on the way :thu:

Verne - if you don't mind, could you tell me what sockets you normally use for these? Will this one work with the 2072s?

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=1825093-2virtualkey57100000virtualkey571-1825093-2

I think the picture in that is wrong, which is why I want to be sure before ordering. It does state that pictures are for reference only.

thanks a lot for the help

• Members

I found sockets don't work well in amps. There's a ton of vibration going on and they tend to get shook loose. I just solder the chips directly to the board.

But, if I was to do a socket, it would be one like this:

http://www.effectsconnection.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=246

Don't cheap on your socket - you'll regret it.

Archived