Crate v33 to Soldano SLO mods

wagdog

• Members

Doh. I should have gone back and read the original post more thoroughly but I jumped right to Steve's part since his design keeps the clean channel.

I just ordered my parts and hopefully next weekend I will be busy soldering and cursing ;) I will post back once it is done.

Thanks for the help Wagdog!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Doh. I should have gone back and read the original post more thoroughly but I jumped right to Steve's part since his design keeps the clean channel.

I just ordered my parts and hopefully next weekend I will be busy soldering and cursing
;)
I will post back once it is done.

Thanks for the help Wagdog!

Cool man!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

• Members

I just got my parts and I will start my mods off next week as well.

also what are the best preamp tubes to put in this baby once its soldano modded?

A lot of people have recommended

12ax7 for v1 and 2 and a 12au7 for the pi, what would the best brand of 12au7 be?

• Members

I just got my parts and I will start my mods off next week as well.

also what are the best preamp tubes to put in this baby once its soldano modded?

A lot of people have recommended

12ax7 for v1 and 2 and a 12au7 for the pi, what would the best brand of 12au7 be?

I can't look at mine (it's at our practice spot) and I've since forgotten what I settled on. I think the AU7 is a JJ (ECC81 or 82?).

• Members

Well almost done. I accidentally removed a resistor I should not have :facepalm: and forgot to order a couple capicators. :confused: The local radio shack did not have the capacitors or resistor (no surprise there) so ordered them from Mouser. Hopefully have them in 3 days so I can finish it off. Over all not a difficult mod just time consuming. Since I had the board out, I decided to do the op amp replacement from the original V33 Mod thread. Now that was a pain in the arse. I am not sure if I am going to put in the crunch/clean mod just yet. I surely will not win any awards for my replacement work but I doubt anyone is going to be looking at that ;)

• Members

The final parts came a little while ago so I got busy finishing this mod off.

WOW

I cannot believe how this amp sounds now. For about $30 in parts and 5 hours of work this amp just smokes! I really need to find somewhere to take it so I can crank it up but at low levels (not past 1) it sounds so much better, it is kind of unbelievable. The op amp swap is definitely worth the hassle as it really cuts down on the overall hiss level.

• Members

Glad it worked out. Any chance of posting some clips? I'd like to do an A/B between Dave's high-gain mod and this one and nobody that's done the SLO mod has posted anything that I'm aware of.

I will try. I say try because I am not the best at micing a cabinet so my recordings tend to be made of lots of fail.

• Members
:wave:

http://wagner-usa.net/cratev33SLO-74strat_mixdown01.mp3

Thanks. I actually found that earlier today. Not sure how I could have missed it.

I've been A/B-ing that and DvNator's high gain clip:

http://www.geocities.com/dvnator3000/hg2.mp3

No offense intended Wag, but Dave's seems a bit more harmonically rich and fuller to my ears. Could it just be a better recording? The SLO clip seems to be concentrated in a very narrow frequency range without much body.

They both sound good, BTW. Just different flavours of goodness.

• Members
I thought there was a clip someone did of this mod. Thanks for posting it Wagdog, now I can spare the world my crappy recording skills.
:D

Uh uh - you gots to step up!

No offense taken Verne - I like his clips too. :) My 4x12 speaker cab isn't the greatest, it's a drive cab that I bought on clearance from MF. It does have Eminence legend speakers, which are certainly better then the stock crate speakers, but nothing amazing.

• Members
Uh uh - you gots to step up!

And here I thought I was going to get off easy. ;) I will do some recordings this weekend.

Have you had a chance to look inside you amp to see what you current tube config is? I tried an 12AX7, 12AX7, 12AU7 last night and did not like it as much as 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7 that I have been using. Of course the the second 12AX7 I used was the Sovtek that came with the amp versus JJ for the others so that could have had some bearing on it.

• Members
i almost feel like just keeping it and trying to mod it myself.

If you are comfortable removing and replacing components on a circuit board I would say do it! I just got back from a friend's who let me borrow his garage so I could really test out the amp. It sounds so amazing now I am having a hard time believing that it is the same amp I bought a few months ago. I do feel like it could have used a little more umph so I am going to try putting a 12AX7 in V2 ( I have a 12AT7 in right now) and see how that goes. I now have an open invitation to borrow his garage when ever I feel the need to rock out so I can try out different pre-amp tube configs to find the one I like. :thu:

• Members

Wag - a suggestion, if I may. See if you can find a rental on a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12 cabinet and try some new clips. The cab will make a big difference and rental for a couple of days shouldn't be much. Love the chops. What's that rock-a-billy-ish one?

Dude, I wish. There are no music stores within 3 hours of me that rent stuff.

The rock-a-billy sounding one is an attempt at a srv tune.

• Members
So, rent it for a month. You must get into the big city at some point. I know I did when I was out in the wilds.

What's your closest major city?

The nearest major city that would actually have equipment for rent? I would say Boston... and I never go there if at all possible. :)

• Members

This guy on youtube did the SLO-mod to a Laney Signature Tony Iommi amp (GH100TI) I personally don't like the way it sounds, but maybe it gives you guys an idea of how it sounds on a high gain amp.

Southern Metal
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Heavy Crunch
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived