Museo de Arte Contempor

• Members

I make exceptions in and for authoritarian regimes.

I'm sure the sheer scale of the presentation is essential to the experience....here's my running commentary as I'm watching....

I love machines, machine noises, both artificial and natural - the very beginning seemed to have sexual connotations....but with that EYE....God? The benevolent dictator? Which dictator exactly?? Six minutes in I felt...there's something a tad creepy behinds the scenes here, just some under-the-surface reaction I felt...

Then around 7:00 the BOOTS - yikes, here comes something...has the preceding set me up to think them beautiful (as the commenting girls are gushing...) and there's such a pounding downwards motion of the boots, feels like a statement on "direction"...

then Babel...you can't THINK in all that...all you can do is pick the preset to focus on...upheavel? chaos? or just the modern Babel? dunno....

then the fish - life, going up - and are those slices of bread? coming down...again feels like a statement...the up of life and the down of gravity/necessity/force...

now around 11:00 the ascending soul, those white feet and legs (female - the soul is always female) , going up the mystical spiral...and the dogs, they bark "up" and "up" and "up" but tied down, they yearn so...souls also?? now the white feet again...but are they going up or down? Now I'm not sure I can tell....ahhh, the ambivalence assures me that I'm having an "art" experience;)

Now we have society in some sense - the tall standing figures with all this wiring, they are networked...bound together..and the beautiful blue bubbles percolate up...so is this the hope people place in science, technology, progress??

But the figures and the wiring and the lighting get much more complex, complicated - is it a tangle now? Something that ties us down again??? those vertical shadows like prison bars....the rags of paper stuck to the wiring, flapping like wounded butterflies or like rags of clothing on barbed wire tugged by a cold wind...

then a sort of interlude about 12:48 as if to say "You've seen much, let's just take a few moments to let it all sink in..."

now a big visual transition - a totally new and startling image, the burning chair....what in the world??? the chair burns and now there's another whole chair as if it's "watching" the other chair....this bring up a riot of associations, hard to intuit what's meant...passivity and suffering...an eternal ideal versus a reality subject to death and destruction....the old passing, the new standing temporarily...the contemplation of death such as the monks used to do...can't come up with anything more specific than these sort of associations....haunting, 'tho, yes.

now the eyes again, the crowd, multiple eyes, perhaps even aware of each other...now what is this? An asian image, the red artifact...and now monks, and organized learning with repetition and suppression of individuality..

now back outside - what a gorgeous sunset - and the machine-drums, are they saying "Pinochet" over and over ???

If it's all a big allegory of Chilean political history, I don't know enough to match the art to the things allegorized...

CONCLUSION: great installation, I got totally taken up in it even on my little computer screen. The breadth of images and associations really stirs up a lot...the music blended seamlessly into the visual IMHO - quite effective.

See? some people really try to pay attention to art! maybe I'm totally missing the point of this work, but hey I'd pay the fee to see it for real...

nat whilk ii

Archived