Please read this... and repost anywhere you can

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Yes, Jango pays you ----> but no authors society of any country including USA's ASCAP pays you royalties.

Jango is in control of everything. No other entity included. However we do not know who owns Jango, eventually Jango is owned by a major record company, and you as independent unsigned artist pay that you get played, that would be a total new trick of them.

Not a new trick. Same trick garageband.com played several years ago until they went out of business and sold the name to the recording process it is now.

Terry D.

• Moderators

everyday there are dozens of girls in front of my house killing my nerves by asking for autographs of Terry D. and sometimes I throw some old underware out the window...

You should have told me, my wife has been bugging me to get rid of my old underwear for years. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

I have to say that David Lowery's letter to Emily was one of the more reasoned and even-tempered approaches to something that I feel as strongly about as he does. The network and hardware providers (big corporations) will all make their money, while the artists continue to struggle to make a living going up against the Free Culture rationale that legitimizes theft of intellectual property for so many.

The Cloud will likely make it harder for independent musicians and artists to get paid -- it sure seems that comparatively small-time indie musicians will likely suffer the same fate at the hands of Spotify as they do with broadcast income as handled by the Performing Rights Societies.

And to change the subject, at least CDs provide a full uncompressed 16 bits. No matter how good they have tweaked the MP3/AAC data compression algorithms, compressed tracks don't sound as good as CDs -- never will. Sure, my iPods are convenient -- but when I listen at home, I'll pop in a CD all the time. But why spend all the time and money to record and mix at 24 bits and high sampling rates when so few people care about how the music sounds? Isn't that one of the reasons that we come to this forum -- the goal of making the best sounding music we can?

Or should we just resurrect our old 4-track cassette recorders and proudly proclaim, "It's analog!"?

:facepalm:

Archived