Way OT - Windows OS purchasing advice

• Members

The issue for me is the 4gb limitation of a 32 bit OS. That seems like a real barrier, especially when running 30-40 Chrome windows plus a couple of huge Ps comps.

I can't say I've hit any issues but don't ever run 40 windows of anything. And don't use chrome. I just use it to record music...

• Members

Buy a violoncello and a house at the sea.

That is the long-term plan.

I married a violinist and moved to a vacation/retirement town town close to some larger cities. We've started an orchestra and I play cello and bass in it and some little quartets. I'm not great at it, but good enough to play all of Eine Kleine Nacht music with my quartet.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to amass enough $$ to retire. Which might actually be possible programming and living cheaply for 5-10 years.

• Members

The issue for me is the 4gb limitation of a 32 bit OS. That seems like a real barrier, especially when running 30-40 Chrome windows plus a couple of huge Ps comps.

For DAW use if I need more than 1GB of RAM I'm doing something wrong. And certainly needing more than 2GB is like... what the hell? The phrase "4GB limitation" is an oxymoron to me. What limitation? My fav DAW MOBO takes a max of 2GB SDRAM (and that's only because I moded it from it's stock 1GB limit). If I outgrow that I'm doing something stupid... like gamming. Never been into gamming at all.

I know we're not talking about DAWs here in particular, but since we've touched on the topic, here's something I feel not enough recording people seem to know... a gamming PC does not a good DAW make. They're two completely different animals. But it's the gamming community that seems push the need for speed and resources more than any other. I ignore them and focus on what my PC can do for audio and video production.

• Members

I ignore them and focus on what my PC can do for audio and video production.

Not so much for what I am doing.

Ps is pretty resource intensive, as are some of the database things I am looking at doing, not to mention that I suspect visual studio will be an out-and-out hog.

And I occasionally edit footage shot on dslr, and for that RAM and resources really do matter, for the exact same reasons that they matter to gamers.

You are right that audio production isn't super resource intensive... or at least I've never run out of power doing anything that I do on a modern machine.

But I don't think that wanting more that 4gb is "doing it wrong," an "oxymoron", or "stupid."

There's no point in resources for resources sake, but if I can save 10 seconds per operation that I do 50 times in a day (which is a real number in terms of opening comps in photoshop for me), then that actually saves me $6 bucks a day (hey, I guess you could calculate my hourly rate off that), and I do this every single day, so in about two weeks a 4gb ram upgrade pays for itself.

Archived