Anyone know anything about the Yamaha RGX520fz?

DeathByGuitar

• Members

I've been looking to buy a second guitar, something comperable to my Schecter C-1 Elite. I've been looking at Ibanez SZ Series guitars, the Schecter C-1 Classic, amongst others.

I've read a few things about the Yamaha RGX520fz, and it gets pretty great reviews from everyone. I've read reviews about it, and nobody really talks about things like build quality. I plan on dropping a DiMarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire set in there, so pickups are a moot point. But anyway, anyone got any experience with this ax, or Yamaha guitars in general?

I'm plenty open to suggestions about other guitars in the price range of 600 or under, new or used. I was looking at the Sterling JP60 but almost threw up in my mouth when I saw it was made in Indonesia.

• Members

I've been looking to buy a second guitar, something comperable to my Schecter C-1 Elite. I've been looking at Ibanez SZ Series guitars, the Schecter C-1 Classic, amongst others.

I've read a few things about the Yamaha RGX520fz, and it gets pretty great reviews from everyone. I've read reviews about it, and nobody really talks about things like build quality. I plan on dropping a DiMarzio CrunchLab/Liquifire set in there, so pickups are a moot point. But anyway, anyone got any experience with this ax, or Yamaha guitars in general?

I'm plenty open to suggestions about other guitars in the price range of 600 or under, new or used. I was looking at the Sterling JP60 but almost threw up in my mouth when I saw it was made in Indonesia.

Uh, pretty sure the RGX520fz is made in Indonesia.

• Members

Having travelled throughout Indonesia, they have some amazing wood workers and skilled craftmen with a lot of integrity. I would rather have a guitar made in Indonesia than China, who in my opinion, lack integrity.

Getting back to the RGX520fz. I played one a couple of months ago and it felt solid and made well. That style of guitar really is not for me but Yamaha, on a whole, are known for quality at a good price. I suggest you try one out and see for yourself.

Here is one on Australian ebay but I am sure you can get it for less over there. Just a bit of eye candy for you.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-RGX520DZ-MATTE-SILVER-W-LOCKING-TREM-BRAND-NEW-/280734817528?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item415d195cf8

• Members

I agree that yamaha's as a whole are well made guitars. As for country of origin.. I really wish people would get over this hangup. Any modern facility in any country is capable of producing a quality guitar, or churning out crap. It's really more about what the manufacturer specs than the country it's crafted in.

• Members

Yes, the RGX520FZ is made in Indonesia. I had one and was impressed by the build quality, although the pickups did seem a bit anemic to me (and I'm not a modder). Ultimately, I sold mine because there was nothing it could do that my Gibson VM LP couldn't do better, and I don't need a backup. However, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who does need a backup 2-humbucker mahogany guitar. Great bang for the buck...

• Members

I agree that yamaha's as a whole are well made guitars. As for country of origin.. I really wish people would get over this hangup. Any modern facility in any country is capable of producing a quality guitar, or churning out crap. It's really more about what the manufacturer specs than the country it's crafted in.

For some it's not about any of that. It's more about the exploitation that occurs in the factory systems there.

• Members

For some it's not about any of that. It's more about the exploitation that occurs in the factory systems there.

That I can understand, but that's not the impression I got from the OP. I could be wrong but to me it just read as if he thinks Indonesia made guitars are lacking in quality.

Archived