Lookie at this cool Sly Stone series- Man, he was producing the Beau Brummels

• Members

It probably didn't hurt his chances of success that he was raised primarily in Vallejo (near San Francisco), after his family moved there while he was a tyke. Both he and the Bay Area came of age musically at about the same time.

Good documentary. Thanks for the link! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I just recorded that program about Sly on my DVR but haven't watched it yet. I saw another one in that series last week about George Clinton from Funkadelic. A couple other little tidbits about Sly - A couple years ago I went to an event at The Plant recording studio in Sausalito (across the Golden Gate Bridge from SF) and while I was there, someone pointed out a little room that they said Sly used to live in for a long time. I also read an autobiography by Deborah Santana who was married to Carlos for around 30 years and she used to go with Sly before she met Carlos. I saw Sly and The Family Stone back in their heyday and they were amazing in concert - that is after he eventually showed up an hour and a half late. But huge props for being a groundbreaking musician who has been a major influence on a lot of people and has left a long lasting legacy.

Archived