I'm hesitating between 4 telecaster models, please help me choose

brebis

• Members

Hi,

After reading about these telecaster models and trying a few of them, I'm still unsure as to what model to choose for stage use. Of course I would like to spend as little money as possible but I need a reliable guitar that remains reasonably in tune when played on stage. So here is my short list:

- Baja Tele - I'm hesitating because of possible reliability and tuning issues. I tried it and the neck is no issue for me.

- Standard American Tele - The reference

- 60th Anniversary Tele - Not sure it sounds that different from the Standard

- Deluxe American Tele - I wonder if I need the locking tuners and if the N3 pickups really sound Tele like?

I'm playing sort of Indie/folk/rock songs into an AC15. What do you think?

Thank you for your time.

• Members

I've tried the Baja, American Standard and Deluxe tele - well worked on all three to be fair.

IMO, the American Deluxe was definitely the nicest. The neck was very comfortable and there was a tonne of tele twang. Out of the three, it seemed to readily respond to different playing styles, insofar as when I wound up the gain, the deluxe kept it's tone but gel'd with the amp sound a lot better. In fact, I was pulling out some Sepultura riffs on that tele and it most certainly held it's own!

I didn't like the American standard, the fret job was horrid. Completely uninspiring, I just finished the pickup change and put it back in the case. As far as I know, the owner's selling it on for something else. I've also tried a few american standard strats - as I prefer strats myself - and felt equally at odds with them. The American Deluxe models are just so much better!

The Baja was OK, but it felt fairly dead sounding to me. The tele twang was certainly there, but I actually thought that the Mexican Standard telecaster I also had in was better in near enough every way. Better tone, nicer neck, nicer sounding pickups and it wasn't as dark but snappy sounding. I'm not sure of the cost difference, but if I had to have a tele, I'd pick up the MIM over the Baja. As nice as the American Deluxe was, I'm not enough of a tele fan to pay the money - though I did pick up an American Deluxe strat (white with rosewood) which is a firm favourite of mine by a long way!

• Members

I like the Bajas - they sound great and have fantastic necks. never found one that wasn't overly heavy, but I'm told they're out there.

I like my 08 AM standard - this particular axe is perfect, very resonant, spot on fret job. and, well, it sounds like a tele :thu:

• Members

Baja is the most vintage styled of them I think ,with three saddle bridge ,vintage tuners etc .Dunno about dead sounding or reliability ????? .Mine was great .If I could afford an American Deluxe thats the one I would go with .Just cos I could .

• Members

Play as many as you can, even those outside of your "box"...get the one that speaks to you.
My Tele was made up from aftermarket (Fender licensed) parts, and my wife bought it for me for christmas several years ago. We saw it laying on the floor of a pawn shop behind a counter...got it with a hard travel case for about $170.
It's the best Tele I have ever owned, although I wish I had never sold my late '60's Tele with a factory Bigsby...they now sell for as much as I paid for my car.

mark

• Members

Squier CV or CVC. Threres no tuning stability issues with any of the models in this thread.

IMO, most guitars sound like crap in the store. I dont know why everyone puts so much stock in what a guitar sounds or feels like in a store. Its like jeans, the crappy store lighting and distorted mirrors will alway make your ass look fat.

• Members

As has been said, play as many teles as it takes to find one that moves you. Fender dealers aren't that scarce and will most likely have a good selection teles. I'm with old mark, don't let your "box" cause you to overlook something special. Good hunting!

• Members

I did a similar test a few years ago. The Baja killed all competition in the price brackets above it (with exception of custom shop) for me. Better pickups, better neck, better saddles. They can occasionally be on the heavy side.

Bear in mind that a guitar can sound relatively dead simply because of a) the amp you put it through b) the age of the strings c) the fact that occasionally, in any one batch of a guitar model, there can be the very occasional bad one.

Therefore you should try again, with different variables and more than one of each model if possible.

• Members

Just try every Tele you can and pick the one you like the most. There is very little tangible difference between Telecasters and you will find exemplary examples from the Squier Affinity Series up to the Custom Shop. I went through this about 4 years ago. I went to the local small town shop and played their mid-range Teles (Nashville Deluxe, 69 Thinline, etc). They had a 2002 Thinline that had been sitting on the floor for about 5 years; it played and sounded amazing. I went to Raleigh for Christmas and played every similarly priced Tele at small shops, GC, and Sam Ash. In the end, I came back to that '69 Thinline in its ridiculous three-tone burst and horribly bookmatched top. It spoke to me, though. Don't limit your Tele search--play 'em all!

• Members

I went through this recently. I ended up w/a baja tele in blonde... here's why: the twisted tele neck pickup is awesome, the broadcaster bridge pickup is nice as well. They combine very nicely in parallel and series (the baja has a 4-way switch). The neck is really nice, no tuning issues on mine and the s1 switch makes for some cool sounds as well. I also like the bridge on the baja.

The am std in natural is my next favorite, but it doesn't have the electronics the baja has stock.

• Members

I don't know what any of those models are our what they represent, but I'd say just go to a place that has a bunch of Telecasters and play a few. Don't fixate on stuff like "this one is a replica '62" or "this one was made in Saipan", or "this has a Bolivian maple fretboard". Decide on the one(s) you like most and purchase the one of that subset that you can afford ...

• Members

I took a year to find my "perfect" Telecaster and played as many models as I could during that time. At the end, it came down to the 52RI Hotrod and the Baja. I really like them both but choose the Hotrod.

If I were to do it all again today, I'd definitely assemble one instead of buying off the shelf.

Archived