NA&GD Ay? (Cobalt Blue's Fault) Godin Session from the depths of the AMAZON

GAS Man

• Members

She's Canadian (Ay?) and assembled in the USA.

I found the deal (demon temptation) in our Great Deals" thread posted by Cobalt Blue :evil:

So this demon temptation was spawned into my living room arriving today along with the Fender Blues Edition of the G-Dec 3 Thirty which was also on a close out.

IMG_0145.jpg

I had an earlier version of the G-Dec 30 but I loaned it out to my stepson (never to be seen again - actually I didn't miss it much) but this one has Fuse and the backing tracks are all Blues (or derivations) and light Jazz. :thu: Plus it looks cooler.

$291 from Zz on a price match. Not a great deal, but not bad and it will keep me working the scales.

The Godin Session looks a bit better in person. I wanted to get some natural light pics but the camera bat was dead, so by the time it was recharged, I had to go with flash. :(

In natural light the grain goes together better than these pics might suggest. It's one of those where it all depend upon the angle of viewing. Most of the time the right side looks a bit darker, some angles both sides look the same, and with the occasional odd angle the left side occasionally looks better. But in any case, its grain match looks better than its webshot and the color is what I expected from finding other pics on the web.

This is the "rustic burst".

Amazon webshot

51WFT4Nt1rL._AA1000_.jpg

My flash pics

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

The deal was $310 when there were 4 left, after I bought mine it was $314, now that there are 2 left it's now $448, so unfortunately it's not a deal I'd push as whole-heatedly now to my comrades in GAS, but it's still a nice guitar at that price.

Seems like most reviews think this guitar is a no-brainer compared to a MIM Std Fender HSS. I think to some degree that would be true, the quality/material seem to be a notch up here. This guitar seems like it would compete well with any mid priced guitar (you know around 5 to 8 bills) but it all comes down to personal tone preferences, right?

This one does the glassy strat tones quite well, along with Frets' hen clucks. The HB sounds good full and split and sounds convincingly "strat-like" in the split position 4. The tone is maybe not quite as edgie as a MIM, but that's where the personal pref comes in I think. The tone of this guitar is maybe a hair smoother. The Session has a 12" radius fb so it's designed to be more of a "versatile" guitar than simply an HSS Strat copy.

Well, that's all I've got to say about it for now folks.

I bought it thinking it might be a nice X-mas gift for my 28 yo son, but we have to see first how much I decide I love or don't love this guitar before I'll know if I'll be able to let it go. For right now, it's pretty sweet for the price I paid (+ WA tax). :thu:

• Members

I met Mr. Godin the other day. The amount of thought, time, and effort he puts into his guitar models and manufacturing is great. He's a wonderful man who is really into his products. You did well. After meeting him, I would be proud to own one of his instruments.

Thanks.

This is just my 2nd experience with a Godin guitar. The other one was also a sight unseen internet purchase, the Godin Richmond Dorchester.

I think it's a good alternative to a Rickenbacker 330 for less coin.

IMG_0032.jpg

• Members

Godins are awesome. I love my 5th Avenue Kingpin while the wife still makes time for her fretless A4. I'd have been all over the Session if I liked the neck: too skinny for my tastes.

HNGD!

P.S. - A little Canadianese for ya: it's actually "eh". ;)

• Members

HNGD/HNAD! Those GDECs look pretty cool, but I've never tried one.

They're kinda cool, but they really are better suited for use as a "Guitar Entertainment Center" more so than a regular amp. Their voicing seems best suited to go along with the backing tracks. That's part of the reason why I let the first one go. Something like a Mustang amp is easier to adjust and has more projection. But I just got done wanking away at some of the backing tracks and found a few that had me rolling, tumblin and stumblin (over my scales) :D

• Members

Godins are awesome. I love my 5th Avenue Kingpin while the wife still makes time for her fretless A4. I'd have been all over the Session if I liked the neck: too skinny for my tastes.

HNGD!

P.S. - A little Canadianese for ya: it's actually "eh".
;)

Thanks, I tried to get that right, even googled it, but it's hard to google such things, eh? ;)

And I'd like to try one of the Kingpins. Attractive guitars and look to be a good deal. :thu:

• Members

woo hoo!

I always thought chrome covered HSS look cool
:thu:

Thanks, it does look kinda cool doesn't it? I also look at it and wonder which I'd prefer, that or a replacement white open coil HB. :idk:

But I plan on leaving this one stock, the p'ups do a good enough job. ;)

Thanks

:wave:

• Members

Congradulations! That guitar is really nice! (Ay) No way I would buy a MIM Fender before your Godin! Enjoy it.

Thanks. As I said above, I've still got to decide if I can carry through with my original idea of it being an X-Mas gift for my son. I remembered he was interested in a HSS Strat, and I figured this was a better deal than a MIM Strat. But I'm liking this guitar and he often acts like ("ah Dad, I don't really "need" another guitar"), but then I know he really enjoys having them. :lol: The only Strat he has is a 90s laminate body Squier which is a fairly dead sounding guitar.

But I have a USA Fender Strat HSS that I've never really bonded with. It wasn't one of my best sounding MIA Strats, so I also want to A/B those two next to see which is the winner.

• Members

Thanks, I tried to get that right, even googled it, but it's hard to google such things, eh?
;)

Don't worry: we'll have you pronouncing "about" as "aboot", loving poutine, maple syrup, toques, hockey and Rush in no time. :cool:

And I'd like to try one of the Kingpins. Attractive guitars and look to be a good deal.

They are. Some people claim the P-90esque pickup sabotages the guitar's acoustic volume but my Kingpin was the loudest in the store.

• Members

I came back with some better pics.

As I mentioned above, the guitar deserved better justice (photo-wise) cuz in the right light, it looks pretty well book matched. So here it is with natural light (even though clouds had rolled in on my commute home tonight :mad:)

IMG_0165-1.jpg

IMG_0169-1.jpg

IMG_0164-1.jpg

IMG_0163-1.jpg

Not bad for three-ten eh? ;)

Tonight I also worked on "how to train your tremolo to float". I think we just partially got through the dog paddle, but progress was made. :thu:

• Members

I came back with some better pics.

As I mentioned above, the guitar deserved better justice (photo-wise) cuz in the right light, it looks pretty well book matched. So here it is with natural light (even though clouds had rolled in on my commute home tonight
:mad:
)

IMG_0165-1.jpg
IMG_0169-1.jpg
IMG_0164-1.jpg
IMG_0163-1.jpg

Not bad for three-ten eh?
;)

Tonight I also worked on "how to train your tremolo to float". I think we just partially got through the dog paddle, but progress was made.

Hey, that thing's beautiful. I don't feel guilty at all now . :-)

Again, congratulations.

• Members

Hey, that thing's beautiful. I don't feel guilty at all now . :-)

Again, congratulations.

Of course I was just kidding you about the demon temptation. I'm told I'm supposed to develop some self control. :o

:lol:

Thanks

:wave:

P.S. Interesting the way that seam line disappears in the right light and angle isn't it?

Archived