had a chance to play an EVH Wolfgang for the 1st time yesterday

EricJohn

• Members

WOW!!! What an amazing guitar for acheiving the Van Halen sound and technique. I've never been a big fan of vintage sized frets but the fretboard almost felt like one of those Gibson Les Paul Custom "Fretless Wonders." The action was nice and low and easy to do those tapping licks. And the pickups were amazing. When playing the intro to Mean Streets, the harmonics just came out so easy.

Now if they didn't cost so much money :cry:

• Members

I've got a Wolfgang Special (admittedly, I only just got it) and I used to own an OLP MMwhatever - it was a black basswood body, maple neck, vintage trem guitar. Both have had a certain clarity and sound that isn't quite like anything else I've owned. I let the OLP go because I didn't dig the vintage trem and though the Made in China price was very nice, the guitar has some finish issues that weren't so. That being said, if I'd been able to setup my guitars like I am now, I might have just fixed it and kept it. T'was a really nice sounding axe.

Anyway, yeah, useless for early EVH tones, but, like the 5153, excellent every-man's guitar.

• Members

VH is about as far from what I'm into as it is possible to get, but that wouldn't put me off the guitar. It's not entirely my bag, but what I find as I get older is that I really appreciate diversity in the guitar market. Even stuff like Dean or BC Rich - as far from what I want for myself as it's possible to get, but I can appreciate quality, craftsmanship, and a bit of difference in design. I really liked the look of the Wolfgang with the goldtop look to it; I'd like to try one of those in a fixed bridge variant, though I'd most likely switch out the buckers for something P90ish. Never seen a lefty of either EB or Peavey variants though, so never had a chance to try one.

Part of me would be tempted to fit a Bigsby to a fixed bridge model....

Archived