Can you name a G&L Legacy, "Stratocaster"?

danuniversal

• Members

BTW - where are all these cheap MIA G&Ls I keep hearing about? Every time I see a G&L come up on CL, it's at LEAST as expensive as the comparable Fender. I'd love an ASAT bluesboy, but those prices...

They are getting a bit more expensive in the used market; however I have found that G&Ls are worth every penny - even new--especially the ASAT Bluesboy.

• Members

You can call it a Les Paul, Roger, or a Bacon sandwich if you like..it's yours, call it what you will.

Doesn't change the fact that Stratocaster is either a Fender, or a Squier.

Thats it.

Heres my Vintage Advance AV6..It is NOT a Strat...it is however, a Stratocaster like guitar:

vint6.jpg

And Heres one of my Squiers..This IS a Stratocaster:

DSCF1615.jpg

:thu:

• Members

I think most g&l's are superior to the "fender" counterpart. Sounds and feel are subjective but the level of fit and finish seems to be better.

I LOVE the near field pups, they are like a hi-fi strat sound. With the master bass and treble down i can thin out the sound for a vintage strat tone-but with more output and less noise.

Most of us on here are Fender fans...Leo just had more time and new technology to improve the strat once he started G&L. Same Leo genious, different headstock. Im convinced if he had started G&L immediatly after selling Fender they would be even more ingrained in the music world. In a way he was a victim of his own success.

Word is getting out about G&L's but there are enough deals on CL if you are ready to strike with cash. Im probably gonna sell my 50th aniversary AMSE strat for an ASAT or S500.

• Members

BTW - where are all these cheap MIA G&Ls I keep hearing about? Every time I see a G&L come up on CL, it's at LEAST as expensive as the comparable Fender. I'd love an ASAT bluesboy, but those prices...

Depends on what you mean by cheap. I was selling my S-500 (2008) for $899, pretty much "as new" with upgraded pickups (Rocketfire Total 60s). A "comparable" Fender would probably cost $1500 or more.

You can get the Legacy model cheaper. A bit older usually means cheaper.

If I had the choice between a $1000 G&L and a $1000 Fender, I would probably get the G&L. I've liked them better in terms of sound and feel. I did like my friend's Fender Rory Gallagher model. That one felt great, sounded great, but was quite expensive.

My other recent "Strats" have been Melancon Pro Artist, Melancon Vintage Artist, and US Masters. Each time I felt I was getting more for my money compared to buying a Fender.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

No. Fender make Stratocasters - It seems that the term for anything that is a stratocaster but not a Fender is "strat". I may have four strats but only two of those are Fenders, ie. Stratocasters.

Of course only gear geeks like us give a crap about the distinction, and I'm not even sure I do

Archived