Outboard Hardware inserts for your DAW, anybody?

temnov

• Members
The most effective software is the one
you get more work done
in less time

Still personal :)

For example, for doing really long looper effects, I create a bus with series delays set to delay sound only so I can get 12-16 seconds of delay. The bus out patches back to an input, which has a send to that bus. It allows for really long loops, with the bus level determining feedback.

Cool trick, Craig! As always..

• Members

Cool trick, Craig! As always..

Well if you want to get REALLY sick, here's a cool new instrument :)

Do the feedback trick, but have it feed back (you'll want a brickwall limiter in the feedback bus - trust me on this). Instead of using delay in the feedback bus, insert a 31-band graphic EQ. Manipulate the faders to just below the point of feedback, just above, etc. (a control surface really helps for this). Put some echo on it, and you have classic 50s electronic music sci-fi sounds.

• Members

Sorry, I should say "if anybody uses outboard hardware like compressors and EQ, etc with your DAW of choice for mixing".

Yes, through a mixing console same as my analog tracks. My DAW fits into my studio much the same way as if it were a tape deck. Most processing I do is external.

• Members

Yes, through a mixing console same as my analog tracks. My DAW fits into my studio much the same way as if it were a tape deck. Most processing I do is external.

Opps, I did it again. I meant with no mixing console, just via AD/DA line in-outs.

• Members
Opps, I did it again. I meant with no mixing console, just via AD/DA line in-outs.

Yeah I kinda figured that. I would do it that way if I had no console, but I was recommending a console as an easier way to manage it. So it was me that should have explained that better. :)

• Members

Well, with a multichannel interface I'd think it would be easier to just wire them all up directly rather than use a mixer. But if you have more different FX than converter channels, a mixer or patch bay is very handy.

That said, I always use an analog mixer (an old TASCAM M30) just for speedy setup and flexibility. I wish I could find something as flexible as the M30 (with 8x4 + 4x2 + 8x2) in a modern, quiter, smaller footprint, without spending a bundle. A 12x8 would be handy since I often have 4 stereo monitor speaker pairs.

• Members

Mixing from ProTools with console and hardware outgear:

- you feed the ProTools tracks to the console.
- you adjust each ProTools track on the console input idividually for best sounding level.

- mix as in the old times.
- export the mix to a digital recorder.

Archived