Let's Discuss Accordions

ggm1960

• CMS Author

Accordions look complicated...All them dang buttons, the keyboard and having to pump the dang thing at the same time. No real polka band is complete without one.

You could say the same thing (and these days, many have) about hardware mixing consoles. No real recording studio is complete without one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So this is a MASSIVE LONGSHOT, but would you, after all this time, be willing to part with this instrument?

My father played the same one as a kid and I’ve been hunting one down for a while. I’d love to surprise him with it for Christmas. I found old pictures of him in the 1950s in a church talent show playing his Silvio Marotta Concerto red/white marble. He talks about it a lot and now that he’s retired I’d love to rekindle that passion for it. I’m from Chicago and more than happy to pay a fair price and cover shipping.

Regardless of your answer, thank you for sharing your passion for music

- Karen

I believe we could make it happen, I haven't had, or taken, the time to learn the instrument and it's been in it's case for some time at this point. I'm actually not all that far away in Iowa.

• Members

Update 11/25: So in what could be one of the best Christmas stories of the season here at SSS I drove to Moline, IL yesterday to meet Karen and sold her the accordion that initially inspired this thread. She was thrilled to get this instrument and it really warmed my heart that we were able to make this happen! I chose what I thought was an appropriate meeting place called Bierstube, a German themed restaurant/bar that I've often visited on trips through the area. It's a shame that Karen and her cousin couldn't stay and have lunch with my wife and I there but they had a previous engagement and needed to return to Chicago. She promised to update us though on how things go at Christmas.

• Members

That I s a nice Seasonal story..

Ironically, my wife and I are watching the Phila Eagles get humiliated by the ‘G’ints’ and are starting to prep a nice German dinner of Wiener Schnitzel, red cabbage /apples and Spaetzle.

tired of eating leftover Turkey...screw that ‘Barnyard Pimp’

EDIT: Hahaha..The Eagles won in the last seconds of the fourth quarter...just as the Bacon was crumbled over the homemade Spaetzle...

The veal looks divine... the Red Cabbage is always a ‘no fail’

Danke, Oma.

• Members
I just ran across this recently resurrected thread. Heh, I'm sure there are many talented accordion players out there, but I'll admit, I'll never be one. I was more or less forced to learn accordion as a child because my parents liked Lawrence Welk.

Never was there a bigger Lawrence Welk fan than my mother who watched it religiously right up until her death two months ago today at the age of 82. Her and my father can actually be seen dancing at the end of an October 1965 episode. She scored tickets through connections she made while she was employed by the city of Los Angeles Parks Department.

The ending theme song from the Lawrence Welk Show was played at the end of her funeral service as per her request.

I was forced to take piano lessons from a tender young age rather than learn the accordion however.

Archived