Pre- 2006 Non Chambered Les Pauls?

Balthazar Munoz

• Members

From what I can gather, all Gibson Les Pauls since from a long time back are "weight relieved", after the relatively cheaper and heavier grades of body wood, compared to high grade Honduran Mahogany, started being used, if I am not mistaken..BUT , that only post '2005, or from 2006 on IIRC, Les Pauls are "Chambered", "Swiss Cheesed" or whatever it is exactly they do now.

Question then , is, Are these non chambered pre-'06 Les Pauls more desirable, and if so, is this desirability reflected in price in the current market?

If not, do you believe eventually these 2005 and earlier Lesters will be more highly valued and desired?

• Members

They still make the "weight relieved" (swiss cheesed) ones...I think it's the traditional series. So no...I doubt they would get more 'highly valued'. The chambered ones are basically the standards and maybe everything else other than the traditionals. I could be wrong there though.

• Members

I'm having a little trouble understanding if you have the timeline right.

Weight-relieved and swiss cheese are one and the same. Gibson starting drilling 9 holes into the backs of the guitars around the mid-'80's. And soundcreation is right, the pre-20-06 Standard is still available as the Les Paul Traditional (weight-relieved/swiss cheese, '50's round neck, and small neck joint).

Weight-Relieved

post-1189-1273088219.jpg

Chambered

post-1189-1273088415.jpg

In 2006, they went to chambering. people seem split between which they prefer, the chamber shaves a pound or more off the weight of the guitar, which people love. It does seem to add a more semi-hollow attack on the note, but ultimately they all sound like Les Pauls, the difference in tone from body construction is insignificant compared to the impact of pickups and amps.

There does not seem to be any extra demand for pre-2006 LP's, the market is flooded with them anyway, and people can still buy the Traditionals. Plus, remember, these are all mass-built production models, a couple of steps behind the flagship Custom Shop Historic models.

Archived