Apple Sucks1

KB Gunn

• Members

THIS V V V V V :

Yeah. You said
"the old connector has features that no one uses any more, and never will. So what? So there are some unused pins."

MIDI has had some "unused pins" from its very initial design. And lasted 30 years.

So, having "some unused pins" should not be an issue.

I guess I wasn't clear...that was my point, too. So what if there are a couple unused pins?

• Members

Well, I have an Android tablet and I can't find any useful audio applications for it. I've been told from a few different sources and from asking the question "Why not?" in different ways that the problem is that because there are several manufacturers, you can't guarantee that your app will work on all of them. I'm testing the Audio Control SPL meter app now and, because of where the audio (at least on this tablet) comes out of the application development software kit, it's pretty much useless. The audio is compressed (dynamic range, not data loss) before it goes to the app. Calibrate it at one SPL and and lower levels will read high and higher levels will read low. This is from an honest company who knows how to make audio measurements, so it must work right on
some
Android device. But like anything else based on a computer, you can't test it on everything.

I should have traded the tablet in on an iPad or iPod Touch when it was new. At least if an app was tested on one iOS device, it will work on any other one at least of the same model and OS version.

I've been playing with these:

TouchDAW (Droid remote for running the Reaper transport)

gStrings Free (tuner),

deciBel (SPL meter - requires calibration to a known-good A-weighted SPL meter)

• CMS Author

I've been playing with these:

TouchDAW (Droid remote for running the Reaper transport)

gStrings Free (tuner),

deciBel (SPL meter - requires calibration to a known-good A-weighted SPL meter)

Been there, done all that. I played with TouchDAW for a while and got it working, though, try as I might, I couldn't make it work without installing Bonjour on the computer I was using for the DAW. Requisite on-topic text: "Apple sucks" It was fun for a day or two but it's not something I need. I had thought of using it when giving a talk so I could start and stop playback without standing in front of the computer, but it didn't respond quickly enough and it involved two more pieces I needed to set up (the router and the tablet) for the talk.

deciBEL was the first app I tried on the Android. It was OK, but as I recall it only goes to 100 dB. The Music Police don't usually come around until it gets up to around 105 dB. The tuner I kept is Pitchlab.

Archived