Clips of 5 diff Amps w/strat - same riff

wagdog

• Members

oh man, quality Twins always sound great - if only they weighed 50% of what they do . . .

for me, the Riviera also sounds excellent if needing a mic-position tweak or 2

3rd is the Champ which surprised me with a soul-ful tone (but I love 10" guitar speakers anyway)

both the Peavy and the Hot Rod sound weakest - the Peavy kinda "nasal-y"

• Members

Very cool clips. Interesting to read how different folks hear the same thing. I liked the clean Twin, and the dirty Twin and Classic 50. What might be interesting would be to do something similar without telling us what we're listening to first, to keep the pre-concieved notions out of the equation.

• Members

Very cool clips. Interesting to read how different folks hear the same thing. I liked the clean Twin, and the dirty Twin and Classic 50. What might be interesting would be to do something similar without telling us what we're listening to first, to keep the pre-concieved notions out of the equation.

+1

• Members

Very cool clips. Interesting to read how different folks hear the same thing. I liked the clean Twin, and the dirty Twin and Classic 50.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at how the hrdx seems to have fared. I gigged that amp A LOT, more then any other amp I've owned. It is the stock speaker.

Thought I'd mention mic placement, and how those clips were recorded - I used a zoom h2, placed about 12 feet away from all of the amps and it wasn't moved throughout. I used the 4 mic setting (2xfront and 2xback), then mixed it down in reaper without any processing other then mixing it to stereo. It was then sliced and diced it together. So what you're hearing is just ambient sound of cranked up amps in the basement. I really know nothing about recording, and the zoom is the only way I have to get anything onto the PC for mixing. Well, I have a fender mustang, but I record that direct.

I'll probably experiment next week just using the front facing mics on the zoom, and different placement of it. Any recording tips would be appreciated.

• Members

Your recording method may account for a lot of the perceived (and real) differences here. 12 feet is a fair distance, there will be a lot of ambient room sound in there, but it will also vary with each amp, depending on volume, cab type, proximity to rear wall etc. It's a classic way to make small amps sound big, but is not a great way to tell the REAL differences between amps.

For testing purposes, rather than musically-pleasing ones, I'd be more inclined to use something like a dynamic vocal mic, placed on axis halfway between the centre and the edge of the cone, just touching the grill cloth.

I'd imagine you'd get totally different results to the previous test if you take out the room sound.

• Members

For testing purposes, rather than musically-pleasing ones, I'd be more inclined to use something like a dynamic vocal mic, placed on axis halfway between the centre and the edge of the cone, just touching the grill cloth.

I'd imagine you'd get totally different results to the previous test if you take out the room sound.

Thanks for that info. I have vocal mics, just no way of recording w/them at the moment. Have to try to figure something out - would like to hear the difference.

• Members

Okay, not to complicate matters even further, but each combo amp is actually amp+speaker+cab. I'm betting a large part of the Twin sound is actually those speakers in that cab----so A/B'ing multiple amps through the same speakers might erase a lot of the differences. Maybe?

Archived