Need Help!! Floyd Rose Content

ak47dragunov

• Members

Hi, I need some help badly! I removed my floyd rose locking nut and placed a bit of cardboard underneath, then screwed the nut back on, because I was trying to raise it a bit to stop some buzzing, but after re-attachig it and tightening the strings up, I noticed they made no sounds and just buzzed and the normally floating bridge was nose-down and immobile. Can anybody help? I can also upload pics if my explanation is not clear. Please help!

• Members

Pics would help. Basically your trem floats because of the compensated tension applied by the springs against the pull of the strings. If you have a drastic change in balance, it would be something out of balance, a spring that isn't attached, a broken string etc...

• Members

The bridge + springs may take a little while to adjust back to their previous equilibrium. Cardboard under the nut is a no-go. Try a metal plate dedicated to this purpose.

This. No cardboard!

That and really... you shouldn't need to raise the nut. It's possible but definitely not the normal way of asjusting action. You would normally either raise the bride by adjusting the two posts that the knife edges rest on, or perhaps adjust the truss rod. I'm thinking your issue is post related though... just a hunch. Where is the buzzing? All over the neck? Up high, down low?

If I were you I'd do some shomework. Watch some setup videos. Read some articles/threads. If you still can't wrap your head around it, take it to a real tech and get it sorted.

Archived