aftermarket pickups

iamjethro

• Members

This is a no brainer in my opinion. I like Duncan and Dimarzio just fine and prefer to find them used on ebay or CL. That said, I can get a custom wound pickup from Bryan (BG) or Ken (Rose) for the same price point as a Duncan or Dimarzio off the shelf. To me, that is an incredible value! I live/work 20 minutes from Lindy Fralin's shop, yet I will send my pickup business to Bryan or Ken because their products are on par with Fralin at a much lower price point.

• Members

I'm partial to supporting small businesses whenever possible. I'd much rather send my money to Ken or Bryan than to the big guys. I respect their passion for their art. Also, I feel that I'm getting a product that's as good or in most cases better than what I can buy off the shelf.

• Members

People around here will suggest BG (immediately) and Rose (after a few posts, unless diceman1000 is online) whenever the word "pickup" is mentioned. Given that we have a population that can detect the tonal nuances of fretboard material, I'd say that speaks highly of those makers.

I mean that without the sarcasm that might be apparent. I'm interested in those guys' pickups, but beware the turnaround time of BG if you need the pickups fast.

*edit - I'm a big fan of Duncans, which are easy to find, so I haven't been super motivated to go for the custom ones.

• Members

People around here will suggest BG (immediately) and Rose (after a few posts, unless diceman1000 is online) whenever the word "pickup" is mentioned. Given that we have a population that can detect the tonal nuances of fretboard material, I'd say that speaks highly of those makers.

I mean that without the sarcasm that might be apparent. I'm interested in those guys' pickups, but beware the turnaround time of BG if you need the pickups fast.

*edit - I'm a big fan of Duncans, which are easy to find, so I haven't been super motivated to go for the custom ones.

Bryan's stuff is well worth the wait. I have three guitars equipped with his pickups. I have a set of phatties waiting to go in that Turser strat when I get the other parts I need for the upgrades. I have put his pickups in some of my clients guitars and a set was in the Tele that was raffled off at my daughter's school earlier this month. Hookandcanman was the lucky recipient of that one not two weeks after he snagged a used BG A3 rockwind tele set off of the spam thread before I could grab them. so he now has two teles with BG pups.

I've also been very impressed with Ken's products that have come across my workbench for either my customers guitars or my own.

I proudly endorse both! :thu:

• Members
Probably looking at BG Buckers or Lizards, don;t know the equivalent of Rose site.

Trying to make a Basswood body , HB equipped sound as close to a classic Les Paul/Yamaha SG type sound.

Ken is a member of this forum. You can contact him via PM at Rose Pickups for his thoughts.

Archived