Moving the strap button on an SG to the upper horn?

guitarman3001

• Members

Sounds like the best idea to me so far. No fuss no muss!

But it doesn't solve the biggest problem which is the guitar hanging too far to the left and my having to reach too much with my left hand to play the lower frets and my right hand resting too close to the bridge.

• Members

Problems solved! I moved the button to the top horn and it works great. It hangs much more normally now and is a lot more comfortable to play. It doesn't look strange either. Actually looks pretty normal to me. Feels very solid too. It's a pretty solid wood, not exactly balsa wood. And it's not like the SG is a very heavy guitar anyway.

I had planned on using a 1 1/2" screw but as it turned out, that would have been way too long so I ended up using a standard 1.25" screw.

One thing, I had to drill the hole manually using a stubby screwdriver and a small screw to start with. I wanted the strap button to face down slightly like they are on most strats and with the angle of the horn and how close it is to the neck, I wasn't able to fit a drill in there at the proper angle so I had to use a very small stubby screwdriver and tiny screw to start the hole. Once I got the hole started I then used progressively bigger screws until I got to the one that will be the permanent one.

• Members

Problems solved! I moved the button to the top horn and it works great. It hangs much more normally now and is a lot more comfortable to play. It doesn't look strange either. Actually looks pretty normal to me. Feels very solid too. It's a pretty solid wood, not exactly balsa wood. And it's not like the SG is a very heavy guitar anyway.

I had planned on using a 1 1/2" screw but as it turned out, that would have been way too long so I ended up using a standard 1.25" screw.

One thing, I had to drill the hole manually using a stubby screwdriver and a small screw to start with. I wanted the strap button to face down slightly like they are on most strats and with the angle of the horn and how close it is to the neck, I wasn't able to fit a drill in there at the proper angle so I had to use a very small stubby screwdriver and tiny screw to start the hole. Once I got the hole started I then used progressively bigger screws until I got to the one that will be the permanent one.

cool beans man! aint it great when things work out...hey as long as you dont start twirling it around above your head by the strap i don't think you'll have a problem. Just give it a check once and a while...even the stock buttons get loose sometimes!!

• Members

cool beans man! aint it great when things work out...hey as long as you dont start twirling it around above your head by the strap i don't think you'll have a problem. Just give it a check once and a while...even the stock buttons get loose sometimes!!

Yep, love it when a plan comes together! Actually had a very productive morning. Moved the strap button and also put together my new pedalboard. Got all the pedals velcroed, all the cables routed, and everything in the right order. Can't wait to use all my new toys with my bands. Will be practicing with one of my bands tonight. Don't have a gig till the 20th though so will have to make do with just rehearsals for now.

• Members

My SG (Epi Iommi) has the button on the upper horn, and I like it there. Like it there so much I glued the sucker in, good and tight. :thu:

Now keep in mind the thing was badly abused before I got her, so pristine and clean condition aren't really an issue ...

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I had the same issue, so reading it helped me immensely. Like guitarman3001 was trying to explain, the problem wasn't so much that the guitar was neck-heavy as that the position of the strap button put the guitar in an awkward position to play. So here I have this awesome SG that I love but was practically impossible for me to play standing up. (I think this might only be a real problem for people with short arms.) Anyway, I took everyone's comments into consideration but ended up taking photon9's advice, relocating the pin to the underside of the horn...andd...VOILA--problem solved! Thanks to all, but especially to g-man3001 for posting and photon9 for providing a solution that works perfectly for me.

Archived