HELP: I'm Lost. What Should I Learn Next?

Jimmy25

• Members

-Have you developed bends and vibrato? Listen to the technique of different artists and genres. I've tried to learn some country type stuff for example, even if I don't know that I will "use" it.

-Do you have a good sense of melody + harmony + rhythm? This is something I had to develop slowly. Singing along with chords was actually a big help. Understanding how songs in a band "work" is important in my opinion, while some people seem to just learn "guitar", and even then not much more than lead and chord strumming.

Other than that there are obviously more scales and chords to learn, and you could eventually tackle things like Jazz theory or more complex rhythm theory (time signatures). But for me the only stuff I really know well is the stuff I use. The term Triad Chord didn't even ring a bell, and I wouldn't be able to instantly do a minor pentatonic because I just don't remember it.

One other thing though this may be just me who thinks this matters - Delve into the technology and science of sound a bit if you want to be an electric guitarist. I have been involved with electronics and audio for a long time and I feel like it has helped me understand music and understand what I 'hear', and I consider that more valuable than understanding notes on paper.

• Members

First, make sure your guitar is set up properly and take care of it. Make sure you keep your strings fresh. A properly set up guitar is easier to play and sounds better.

I assume you already try to play along to songs you like. Pick a genre of music you do not like, or do not listen to much. Play along with that.

I hate Country. But I was in a band (I was a-whoring, gotta make that dollar) that played a lot of it. The other guitar player was a country/bluegrass player. In the eight months I was with them my playing improved more than it ever had in such a short period. In fact, both our playing improved. I firmly believe that being forced to move out of what we were used to doing helped kick our brains and fingers into learning mode.

Simply, it is easy for any level of player to get into a rut. You will get have them from time to time, but not playing the same thing all the time helps to avoid them and helps you grow as player.

If you aren't playing with someone, either with a friend or jamming with a group, find someone. See above.

Learn some theory. Know your keys and their I, IV, V chords.

DO NOT get caught up in thinking a piece of gear will make you sound better, play better, or make you sound like someone else. Sometimes gear will help, but you are the most important part of the chain. What you hear on a cd is the result of what was manipulated in a studio. You will have a hard time replicating a lot of what you hear, tone wise, with perfection.

Don't use too much gain/distortion. Whatever you think is enough, reduce it by 25%.

Be prepared to deal with assholes. The world is full of them, but musicians are over-represented. The same is true for liars, thieves, drunks, addicts, etc.

• Members

Learn how to read sheet music and get into jazz. Also, develop a critical listening ear; that's an essential skill that will serve you well your entire musical life.

thanks warriorpoet!! I got a friend who's able to hear a song and know what key it's in or even play melody that's similar to the song without anyone teaching or reading music. I wonder what it takes to get this skill? as you said developing a critical listening ear. yes definitely! but how...? cheers mate : )

• Members

If I could go back and start over, I would have joined a band or bands and played live as much as possible. I was always too worried that I was not good enough. Then time passes and basically I played a lot sitting alone in my bedroom which wasn't all that fulfilling.

• Members

I'm a firm believer that with respect to playing guitar, people begin to show exponential improvement once they get out of the bedroom and start playing with other people. You mention having a band to jam with, but didn't say how long ago that began. If this was recent, then I'd say to be patient, and this should start to pay off for you.

• Members

thanks warriorpoet!! I got a friend who's able to hear a song and know what key it's in or even play melody that's similar to the song without anyone teaching or reading music. I wonder what it takes to get this skill? as you said developing a critical listening ear. yes definitely! but how...? cheers mate : )

The important word here is critically- try to figure out what is going on in the song. If you can sing with it, do that. If you haven't yet, see if you can join/ attend a local choir, and learn a part. It's amazing what a little vocal parts work can do for your eye/ ear!

An essential aspect of developing a critical ear is understanding some basic theory. i.e. what chords go where and why. This isn't as boring or difficult as it sounds, and there's the added bonus of using it every time you pick up an instrument...

Here's the best beginning guitar theory book I've run across: http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Theory-Guitar-Don-Latarski/dp/0898986923

Listening critically is:

1. listen first for overall structure (i.e. intro, verse, chorus, verse 2, chorus, bridge, chorus 2, tag/ a, A, B, A2, B, C, B2, d)

2. listen second for harmonic structure (i.e. G, Em7, C2, G, G/F#, Em7, C2, D, D7, G/ 1, 6m7, 4(2), 1, 1/7, 6m7, 4(2), 5, 5(7), 1)

3. listen third for melody

4. play / sing what you heard

5. modify to taste ("jazz" it up ;) )

Your friend may be able to consciously do the above, or just have been playing/ listening long enough to reproduce things innately. I was the latter when young because I hadn't yet learned practical theory and because I was involved in choirs, orchestras and band situations from a very young age. My challenge was (and is) in expressing the ability, rather than developing it; you have the opportunity to learn both at once. :)

• Members

If I could go back and start over, I would have joined a band or bands and played live as much as possible. I was always too worried that I was not good enough. Then time passes and basically I played a lot sitting alone in my bedroom which wasn't all that fulfilling.

This is huge - even if you go to open mic nights. Playing out is the best.

• Members

I only half agree with the assertion that playing live makes you improve exponentially. I believe that you always have to combine some of that bedroom time with that live time. Bedroom is where you acquire technique and can really learn to push yourself. However, live can give you that motivation. At the same time, I think there's a tendency for some people, once they start rehearsing and playing live with a band, to get stuck in basically one mindset and become a super refined version of one type of player. These people would be more versatile with a bit more bedroom practice.

• Members

I only half agree with the assertion that playing live makes you improve exponentially. I believe that you always have to combine some of that bedroom time with that live time. Bedroom is where you acquire technique and can really learn to push yourself. However, live can give you that motivation. At the same time, I think there's a tendency for some people, once they start rehearsing and playing live with a band, to get stuck in basically one mindset and become a super refined version of one type of player. These people would be more versatile with a bit more bedroom practice.

Then you'd only be half right. No one suggested that he stop practicing alone. We simply suggested that at some point, playing with others can help kick start you past a point of stalled progress.

• Members

Get a copy of William Leavitt's A modern method for guitar Vol 1,2,3. Start with vol 1 and take it from there. The three volumes will last you for a lifetime. It will probably bore you to death but it is very interesting and rewarding if you have the appropriate point of view.

For more fun, get the Blues You Can Use series from John Ganapes (Blues You Can Use, More Blues You Can Use, Jazzin the Blues, Rhythms You Can Use etc).

• Members

-Have you developed bends and vibrato? Listen to the technique of different artists and genres. I've tried to learn some country type stuff for example, even if I don't know that I will "use" it.

-Do you have a good sense of melody + harmony + rhythm? This is something I had to develop slowly. Singing along with chords was actually a big help. Understanding how songs in a band "work" is important in my opinion, while some people seem to just learn "guitar", and even then not much more than lead and chord strumming.

Other than that there are obviously more scales and chords to learn, and you could eventually tackle things like Jazz theory or more complex rhythm theory (time signatures). But for me the only stuff I really know well is the stuff I use. The term Triad Chord didn't even ring a bell, and I wouldn't be able to instantly do a minor pentatonic because I just don't remember it.

One other thing though this may be just me who thinks this matters - Delve into the technology and science of sound a bit if you want to be an electric guitarist. I have been involved with electronics and audio for a long time and I feel like it has helped me understand music and understand what I 'hear', and I consider that more valuable than understanding notes on paper.

Hi wartoxin, yes as mentioned from above, some techniques I have developed are Minimum Movement;String Bending;Rolling;Vibrato;etc. Not saying I do a perfectly great job on these, but at the very least I understand the right way of doing these, I guess it's just the matter of time and practice to get better on those techniques. Furthermore, a fact is I LOVE singing, sometimes I am also the lead vocal in the band, I also attend chorus class, but I never understood how it's a big help in playing guitar? and yes! there are still too many scales to learn, but I wonder, does a guitarist have to learn ALL the scales eventually..? thanks and cheers mate : )

• Members

You asked which songs should you work on next - right?

Based on what you know, you should be able to play just about anything you want.

I suggest that you try to learn a few songs with tab alone - without an instructional video.

• Members

Since you say "know all the notes on the neck" I'm assuming you mean all string in every position. This is a great advantage because it allows you to approach the guitar like a piano.

I would suggest working with simple triads where you only play the three notes on three adjacent strings. An exapmle would be the standard A Major position where you barre the 2nd 3rd and 4th strings on the second fret. With this "grip" the root of the chord is on the third string so you can play any Major triad simply by barring those three strings on the fret where the root note is on the 3rd string. C Major on the 5th fret, Eb Major on the 8th etc.

Another example is to play the standard C Major chord in first position and remove your third finger (not literally - don't cut it off) and again just play the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stings. this time the root of the chord is on the 2nd string. If you wand to go between A Major and D Major, you can barre the second fret as I described above, then place your first finger on the 2nd string third fret and your third finger on the 4th string fourth fret and now you have the D Major triad with the root on the second string. This becomes a very easy way to go from the I chord to the IV chord in any key or position on the neck. It's something Keith Richards does a lot.

I hope this is making some sense.

If you take some time to learn some of these "easy" chords it will make playing much easier with a lot less effort.

Larry Carlton approaches complex chord as multiple triads. For example a C Major triad is the top four noted of an A minor 7th chord and am E minor triad is the top three noted of a C Maj7 chord. Once you learn the simple triad positions you will be able to play the more complex jazz chords easily once you learn some theory and "see" the chords like Mr 335 does. When you are playing with a bass player you don't need to play the root of the chord so you can get away with the simple triads.

Another thing to do would be to learn some common chord progressions like the I vi ii V and play them using some of the ideas I mentioned. A common I vi ii V would be DMaj7 Bm7 Em7 A7 and is the basis for "Breezin" by George Benson.

Once you learn some of the common progressions and some of the songs that use them you will start to recognize them when you hear them. Even if you don't have perfect pitch, you might recognize a I vi ii V in another song because it sounds like "Breezin" and all you have to do is find the key and you will quickly be able to play it.

• Members

You asked which songs should you work on next - right?

Based on what you know, you should be able to play just about anything you want.

I suggest that you try to learn a few songs with tab alone - without an instructional video.

I would also suggest learning as much as you can by ear and using the tab to help you find the difficult parts.

• Members

Alright, so after I read all the responses. Basically, It seems like the best way to go for me now is to get my ear into some training. However, I basically spend almost the whole day today checking out Justin's "Blues Rhythm Guitar Series" ( http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BL-000-Blues.php ) to understand the standard blues progression of I-IV-V. I must say it was something fresh for me, and it's definitely helpful and very interesting to learn and understand how it works. Now I know the blues I-IV-V progression including the main variations (6th or 5th string roots), I-IV Climb (sliding into chords), using little finger for more variations, and playing around with the idea of the 12 Bar Blues in different major key's backing track. That was really fun I must say. Apparently, I know there are much more of these kinds of standard progressions, and I would like to learn them as I found this useful and interesting. Do you guys mind mentioning them so I could check them out as well? or I guess Imma just google it...lol. So in the end, can I put it this way, by knowing a standard progression like for example the blues I-IV-V progression, if you hear a song starting with the chord D (which means "I" would be "D" obviously) it's most likely going to be G (IV) or A (V) on the following chord? and in this case, you get a better idea on which chord to progress to next and not simply guessing or trying out atw from chord D-C. And so with an understanding of the progression, it's extremely helpful, since it just comes down to trying out the few chords in the progression and use the ear to see if it suits the music. Is that right? please fix me if I'm wrong. I did mentioned quite a few things I know when it comes down to playing electric guitar, but chord progression is sth new for me and I think this would be my next step, which also allows me to do some ear training by using the chords in the chord progression to see if it suits the music. Do you guys think this is an clever and effective way to go? cheers guys : D !!

Archived