Heavy SG's?

Balthazar Munoz

• Members

Am I mistaken or are all the SG'S made these days very light.

My SG Classic was real light-too light for me so I sold it.

I recall once owning an old SG and it had some good weight to it, although it was neck heavy.

There ort to be some sort of compromise between flyweight and heavyweight SG's.

I know a real lightweight SG don't bother some of you, but it sure does me.

I'd like to find one with some good weight..9 pounds or something ..any advice? ( other than to screw a block of lead onto the back or something stupid like that).

• Members

My 73 Sg is pretty damn light but it sounds heavy enough and is super comfy for long nights of playing. Usually though, I do like a little heft to my guitars so I get what your saying. See if you can get your hands on an Epiphone Elistist Sg... really great guitars for the money spent and you will like the weight.

• Members

SG's have always been a very light guitar, it's not a modern thing. The heavy SG's are generally the exceptions in the bunch. The average SG weighs in between 6-7lbs., that's less than the average Strat....that's not considered lightweight, that's considered average.

I think this is a case where you are looking for the SG to be something it is not. 9-10 lbs. is considered the age-old LP weight. My '72 pancaked body LP is 9 lbs. 2 oz. You would have a very hard time finding an SG that heavy, there is significantly less wood used.

• Members

Any thoughts of considering an ESP Viper? They've got more thickness and heft and might possibly be more in the tonal range of what you're looking for.

DV016_Jpg_Large_584499.127_See-Thru_Blac

DV016_Jpg_Large_516635.001_black.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_516652.001_black.jpg

I personally like the "light" on an SG, because it does change the Gibson tone a bit towards the Fender side of town. Other Gibsons like LPs, Explorers, RDs etc, are a much more throaty sounding instruments.

But if you want to get the heft out of a Gibson SG, I'd suggest the SG Specials. Or get a Zoot Suit if you really want some heft. :D

• Members

Light, resonant mahogany has, since it's inception, been the key to the SG's sound/feel. Variations on this theme as far as wood type goes might get you what you're looking for, but if that's so, then what you're looking for is not an SG.

That being said, though, there are, & have been many such guitars, some by Gibson themselves, that have strayed from this basic concept. I'm sure it shouldn't be too much trouble digging one up.

Archived