I'm finally getting an acoustic guitar.

honeyiscool

• Members

One of my roommates brought me a Walden acoustic guitar the other day and asked me if I could set it up. I've never set up an acoustic before (I've restrung them) but I did the usual truss rod thing, filed down the saddle to set the string height, put some 10s on it, and to my shock, the cheapie settled into one of the best actions I've ever found on a guitar, just absolutely effortless. I just could not put that thing down, it was such a blast to play.

I've been noticing that I play my electrics unplugged way too much anyway, so I figure I should probably have something that actually has a bit of sound, but I wanted something that has good ergonomics, value, and a built-in tuner, so I'm going with a Yamaha APX500-II. I honestly don't care that much about tone because it's not going to be an instrument I often record or play live with, so I only care about playability and bang for the buck. It seems like the Yamaha APX series and the Fender California series are meant for electric players who play acoustic occasionally, but the APX series seems to be a tad bit better.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H75594.006_natural_V.jpg

The only acoustic I've had before was a 12-string. Hopefully this one sticks with me longer. :)

• Members

Might be too late, but consider a Tanglewood. Very nice guitars for not a lot of money.

Hmm. This Koa is very nice and very much the kind of guitar I was looking for:

449zoom.jpg

I figure this Yammy won't be the last. I'll remember this name for when I'm spending more money. Thanks for the rec.

• Members

My local place has some of their lower end models ($500 range) and they're very nice. They're on my list of stuff to check in the next few weeks. I just had some stock options mature and, well, the GAS is killing me for a new acoustic/electric..

• Members

I love acoustics... and settled on a relatively expensive one which nearly all my guitaring buddies love. I decided it was probably worth spending more on one good acoustic, than on one good electric.

You've probably already posted there, but the acoustic forum folk are very nice and helpful. Just remember that you have to post a goat, or a sheep or something on a NGD.

Archived