My Stratocaster Questions

Jimmy25

• Members

Model: Fender 57' Reissue Maple Neck Strat MIJ Since 1993

I'm not so sure if these things are reissued exactly according to the original.

JUST MAKING SURE...

1) Is the neck profile C/V/U Shape?

2) Is the neck radius 7.25 or how do I measure it?

3) What finish is my maple neck?

4) What finish is my strat body?

5) For my maple neck, the back part is always extremely sticky and my fingers often gets stuck while playing which is getting really annoying, after reading the first few pages of Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide". How about just simply using the "moist breath fog" method, which is to blow my warm, moist breath on the sticky area until it fogs up, then quickly wipe off the dirt using naphtha / cotton cloth WITH warm water. Then, as I got suggested from someone, get some talc pouch bag from the bowling/pool table center. And spread the powder around the maple neck as it will come through the fabric like a cloud of dust and make it smooth. Do you guys think this would be a good method? I don't really wanna use sandpaper/steel wool/lemon oil as they might damage the neck's finish, especially a "vintage" maple neck.

dsc06538z.jpg

dsc06539b.jpg

dsc06541i.jpg

dsc06544o.jpg

• Members

Model: Fender 57' Reissue Maple Neck Strat MIJ Since 1993

I'm not so sure if these things are reissued exactly according to the original.
JUST MAKING SURE...

1) Is the neck profile C/V/U Shape?

2) Is the neck radius 7.25 or how do I measure it?

3) What finish is my maple neck?

4) What finish is my strat body?

5) For my maple neck, the back part is always extremely sticky and my fingers often gets stuck while playing which is getting really annoying, after reading the first few pages of Dan Erlewine's book "Guitar Player Repair Guide". How about just simply using the "moist breath fog" method, which is to blow my warm, moist breath on the sticky area until it fogs up, then quickly wipe off the dirt using naphtha / cotton cloth WITH warm water. Then, as I got suggested from someone, get some talc pouch bag from the bowling/pool table center. And spread the powder around the maple neck as it will come through the fabric like a cloud of dust and make it smooth. Do you guys think this would be a good method? I don't really wanna use sandpaper/steel wool/lemon oil as they might damage the neck's finish, especially a "vintage" maple neck.

dsc06538z.jpg
dsc06539b.jpg
dsc06541i.jpg
dsc06544o.jpg

What makes you question if they're exactly the same?

• Members

very much appreciated for all the replies guys!

I think C-shape 7.25" radius is confirmed.

However, question 3 and 4 are still a mystery XD

I'm confused.. half of the ppl are saying the neck and body is poly finish

and another half says nitro...

question 5.. was my method not very good..?

• Members

If it's like any of the Japanese Strats I've played, you won't damage the finish with steel wool since it's very thick. That said, it does take the gloss off so consider that.

if you do steel wool the neck, it will be less sticky, and after several hours of playing, it will get shiny again.

if you care about playability, mod the thing. if you care about resale, put it in a case, and buy a guitar you actually like to play.

• Members

82? That can't be Japanese, can it?

The Japanese '52 Strat isn't actually an RI, it's just a Strat made to somewhat '52 specs.

yes 82

Japanese reissues had a wider 12th dot placement since there introduction in 1982 (relative to 12th dot spacing among 1982-1998 AVRI strats). This is a sure fire way to tell the different between a 1982 American Vintage Reissue neck and a 1982 Japanese reissue neck.

http://www.fenderreissue.com/fender-stratocaster-reissue-strat-necks

Archived