which type of pickups?

ieatwhores

• Members

Soo i recently joined a new band and was going to get a set of gfs pickups to help me get a sound similar to the genre. we are starting a project similar to pianos become the teeth(they use rickenbackers) and touche amore(they use teles). I currently have a samick um3 alder body, mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard. Can anyone recommend a set of pickups that would be good for this genre?(two humbuckers) Ive been looking at either mean 90's, dream 90s, dream 180s, or possibly one of the retrotron series any suggestions?

• Members

A band with a guitar having humbuckers and single coils is a good blend to begin with. If you both go

single coils youll both be fighting to dominate the same audio frequencies and wind up in a volume war because

one guitar will always be masking the other. I'd focus on the amp myself. I've only hear one crate that I thought

sounded any good and those were the original ones built into a box that actually looked like a packing crate.

any thing new I've heard sounds like complete garbage so I dont see a pickup change as being your solution.

If your pickups sound muddy get an EQ foot pedal as a temporary solution. You can buy a cheap 10 band and

dial up your tone. Then when you get a better amp you can then evaluate your tone and what you may need.

If its a good amp you should be able to adjust your sound for anything you want.

• Members

The Mean 90s get a decent amount of play as a pretty good sounding humbucker-sized P90 for a good price. Some find them a bit sterile and lacking in depth and complexity of sound.

If you want a humbucker-sized P90 and you want to ensure you get a really good sound without spending a bunch, it'd be hard to go wrong with the following:

BG Pickups Pure 90s (definitely the pick of the litter, as far as I've heard)

Duncan Phat Cats

Tonerider Rebel 90s

Irongear Alchemist 90s.

Archived