Question on Speaker and Cabinet Ohms

elsupermanny14

• Members

Hi guys I have a question for you guys regarding ohm handling on an extension speaker cabinet. I don't know anything about cabinet and speakers but am hoping this will be a straight forward question to answer.

I have have the Blackheart 1x12 cabinet for the BH5H. The cabinet jack says "16 Ohm parallel jack," and it has a 16 Ohm speaker. My question is, since it is a one speaker cabinet can I buy an 8 Ohm speaker and simply replace the current speaker to get an 8 Ohm cabinet? Is it honestly that easy or is there more to it than what I'm thinking.

Reason being is that I'm considering buying one of those Rock Block amps from Surprise Sound Labs and they recommend using an 8 ohm speaker for ideal tone with amp. In addition, I have also wanted to buy a Greenback for the cabinet to replace the Eminence speaker in there. I figure, the Blackheart has inputs for 8 and 16 ohm, the Rock Block recommends, 8 ohm, and I have wanted to do a speaker replacement for a while. Might as well get an 8 ohm Greenback if it's that easy.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

• Members

If you put a single, 8 ohm speaker in the cab, you have an 8 ohm cab.

The "parallel" is probably referring to both jacks (it has two jacks, yes?) being wired in parallel, which would be a factor in determining overall impedance if you ran another speaker off of that cab.

• Members

If you put a single, 8 ohm speaker in the cab, you have an 8 ohm cab.

The "parallel" is probably referring to both jacks (it has two jacks, yes?) being wired in parallel, which would be a factor in determining overall impedance if you ran another speaker off of that cab.

Wagdog you are correct. It has two input jacks. I'm ok with re-using the same jack plate right? I don't have to change to anything with the jacks right?

• Members

Wagdog you are correct. It has two input jacks. I'm ok with re-using the same jack plate right? I don't have to change to anything with the jacks right?

Don't have to change anything. Just keep in mind that an 8 ohm cab should be used with the 8 ohm speaker in the cab when daisy chaining. You'll then have parallel @ 4 ohms. Running anything else will cause too much math that an amp doesn't feel like figuring out.

• Members

Those Blackheart cabs are sweet BTW, I think you'll even like the stock speaker.

I do like the stock speaker. I think eminence makes some great stuff. The only reason I want to change it is because I have wanted an amp to run through low wattage greenbacks. I'm also considering buying a Rock Block from Surprise Sound Lab and they recommend their mini amp to run through an 8-ohm speaker. I figure, if I do end up buying that little 1-watt amp, it might get more benefit from a lower wattage speaker as well. I see it as a way of killing two birds with one stone. They recommend 8-ohm and I have always wanted a greenback haha.

I plan on keeping the Eminence speaker stored away in a safe place so that if I ever come upon an empty speaker cabinet for cheap I would already have a speaker ready to go.

By the way, the Blackheart cab is built really well. I took the back out last night to see what it looked like on the inside. It's a really well built cabinet. Solid and sturdy as well with a good amount of thickness to the wood.

• Members

Nope, they will be fine. I agree about placing an 8 ohm label over the old one.

Archived